ChickenMamaSarah

Songster
Apr 20, 2018
Austin, Texas
E57A5A67-20C2-4758-B7EE-B010CD253967.jpeg
98F3DE18-86C2-408F-9EC7-B9F1C5939F81.jpeg
My broody hatched out nine chicks over the last two and a half days. These last two eggs pipped Saturday afternoon but never quite made it all the way. I just went out to find my hen kicking up the nest with her other chicks and they completely buried these last two eggs. The eggs were pretty beat up. I brought them inside and helped them out a bit. The membranes were dried up and brown/orange colored.
The first pic of the darker colored chick looks like it may not have absorbed all the yolk sac. It’s chirping and moving a little but I’m not sure what to do with it other than wait.
The second blonde chick looks like it has a bad left leg. It moves it but it’s definitely not moving like the other leg. It’s head also looks funny to me. Like the eyes are small or something.
Both chicks are peeping and moving around fine. I have them in a brooder in the house for now until they perk up and dry off then I’ll try to give them back to mama. It’s just hard having chicks almost three days apart in the same batch because all the others are already outside eating and scratching.
Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom