Yolks almost always break

Sally PB

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
I've had an issue with the eggs that my Black Australorps lay. The yolk nearly always breaks when I crack open the egg. I thought it might be food related, but it doesn't seem to be. I feed Kalmbach organic starter/grower (20% protein), and very few treats that are not their food wetted into a mash.

I got three more chicks last June, 2 Jersey Giants, and a Jubilee Orpington. The two JGs are laying, and their yolks do not break. The Black Australorps quit laying to molt, and one has just started again. And, her yolks break when I crack the egg. I'm not holding out any hope for the other two to be any different.

Has anyone had this issue with Aussies, or any other breed?

I’m not sure which of my hens has this same issue (I do have an australorp), but I did notice the yolks break when cracked after one of the birds sits on eggs before collection. They’re collected daily, but sometimes they will lay early on and one persistent hen sits on some all day.

I just spent some time with Mr. Google reading anecdotal comments from chicken keepers about their experiences with eggs with weak yolks. There seems not to be any definitive reasons for this phenomenon, but some causes seem to be more common to weak yolks. These include the possibility of poor protein absorption involving older layers and climate, heat and cold affecting the yolk quality.

Solutions are diverse. Frequent egg gathering and proper egg storage seems to improve the quality overall. And limiting corn in the diet is one of the most common dietary recommendations.

I just spent some time with Mr. Google reading anecdotal comments from chicken keepers about their experiences with eggs with weak yolks. There seems not to be any definitive reasons for this phenomenon, but some causes seem to be more common to weak yolks. These include the possibility of poor protein absorption involving older layers and climate, heat and cold affecting the yolk quality.

Solutions are diverse. Frequent egg gathering and proper egg storage seems to improve the quality overall. And limiting corn in the diet is one of the most common dietary recommendations.
I'm trying to remember if when the Aussies started laying if the yolks didn't break as often. I remember last summer/into fall, DH was frustrated with them, because he likes his eggs over easy. If the yolk survived the original cracking, they usually broke when he turned them. The birds were a year old in March this year.

They all stopped for their molt. Then early in November, the two JGs began laying. Their egg yolks are fine, and so are the eggs from the neighbors that I got when I chicken sat over Thanksgiving weekend (many different breeds, fed layer, 16%).

Now one of my Aussie hens has started laying, and I cracked two of them this morning for my scrambled eggs. Broken yolks. DH got JG eggs, the yolks didn't break. All the eggs were 4-6 days old, stored on the counter.

The 3 Aussies were from TSC in March of 2020, out of Townline Hatchery in Zeeland, MI.

Wish I could find other people who bought chicks from that batch to see if they're having the same problem. I'm just resigned to this issue with these birds, I guess. The only difference I can think of is the birds themselves, as they get the same food, the same water, live in the same coop/run, and I gather eggs promptly.

I did some googling too last summer, thinking I'd find SOME variable I could change. Couldn't find anything, really, other than learning other people did have this issue. I remember one person saying that she lost an egg customer because of this.

I appreciate everyone's input!

What I would try if I were to find myself in your shoes is adding a little more animal protein to the flock's diet, for example, open a can of mackerel once a week and let them all feast on it. At the same time, cut out all scratch grains and corn. Do this consistently for four weeks and see if the number of broken yolks decrease significantly.

Another possibility is the individuals with the weak yolk issue may be suffering stress that is affecting their yolks. Keep watch for those suspect chickens being bullied when feeding at the feeder. This would affect the amount of protein they're getting with the consequences of egg quality issues.

adding a little more animal protein to the flock's diet, for example, open a can of mackerel once a week and let them all feast on it. At the same time, cut out all scratch grains and corn.
I will put mackerel on my shopping list!

I don't give them scratch, and the only corn they get is in their feed. The main treat I give them is their feed, wetted into a mash. They get some vegetable scraps when I have them. Very seldom (1x a month, maybe?) do they get BOSS and mealworms. Yesterday, being Christmas, I gave them about 1.5 slices of bread for the whole flock (7).

I have the leftovers from making bone broth in the freezer. That's made up of turkey meat scraps and bones (soft enough to mash with my fingers), onion, celery, garlic, carrots. Would that be a good snack for protein? When I give them this, it's a "topping" on their mash. They love it.

If I am short of eggs, I often get them from my sister in law, and her eggs have this same problem. And super thin whites, so the eggs and yolks don't stay together. I use them for baking, mostly.

Not all eggs are not the same quality. I generally won't cull on this issue, but will separate these eggs for baking, and I would not hatch from these.

Mrs K

Not all eggs are not the same quality. I generally won't cull on this issue, but will separate these eggs for baking, and I would not hatch from these.
Yeah, I was hoping to eventually hatch a Buff Orp over Black Aus cross, but I'm rethinking that. I was either going to call the result "Buff Aus," or "Orpalorp."

At least I can identify these eggs and keep them for cooking or for my scrambled eggs. DH can have the non-breakers for his over easy breakfasts.

Back
Top Bottom