Yolks almost always break

My wife has commented that a few of our eggs have weak yolks, though I gather multiple times daily, and maintain a high protein diet for them (and a very high, relatively speaking, diet early in their development). Her research led to the belief they weren't getting enough protein. I gather too many eggs, from too many similar-looking birds - to tell who laid what. So I've attempted to rationalize it by assuming that the weak yolks are associated with bird stress, in my case, molting + climate. We had a number of birds in long, early molts in conjunction with high heat + humidity this year, and the occurance of weak yolks seemed to correlate with that period. (Of course, I also had a feed change to an 18% non-GMO from my 20% mix)

Now that temps have moderated, and almost all my birds are done molting, the weak yolk is almost entirely a thing of the past. (But I've had another feed change...)

tl;dr? I don't know.

also, "Orpalorp". That's just fun to say. :lau

I wonder if genetics are involved. My Sapphire Gems seem to have an higher incidence of weak yolks. They are on Purina layer feed with a once a week protein snack of whatever I have-dog food, cat food. These super layers started out fast and furious but at 2 years production quickly faded. My Jersey Giants never had problems with their yolks-even my old timers produced a few eggs this summer with a nice shell and good yolks. My Marans always laid eggs with nice yolks, though one had a shell gland problem that resulted in brittle shells. Back to the SG. I have one that always lays a monster egg. The egg is never a double yolker-just a regular sized yolk that breaks and a large amount albumen that is always accompanied with a meat spot. She's a nice looking hen in good flesh and seems healthy in all other aspects. I'm watching her, though, to see if she develops reproductive problems.

I wonder if genetics are involved.
I'm thinking it is a possibility in my case. All three of these birds were from TSC, gotten the same day. They have all had this issue last summer/fall. I was hoping it would be different after their first real molt (they had a partial molt last winter), but perhaps not.

They'll be getting some canned fish probably 2-3x a week for a few weeks. One is laying, so we'll see if it helps. One is getting close to coming back into lay, and the third is a few weeks off yet. She had the longest and worst molt, so I'm glad she's taking a good break.

At least I can identify these eggs and keep them for cooking or for my scrambled eggs. DH can have the non-breakers for his over easy breakfasts.
That's great that you can ID the problem eggs. I have several birds that have issues of one sort or another with their eggs (from meat spots/blood spots to watery whites), so while those are perfectly fine for baking or scrambling, I save the better quality eggs for hard boiling, poaching, over easy etc.

Hubby prefers his fried eggs over hard (yuck), and doesn't care if the yolk gets popped, so he gets the problematic eggs and he's fine with that.

Some other reasons for weak egg yolk issues are the age of the egg, storage temperature, and rough egg handling practices. Also disease in the flock, protein content in the diet, and age of the hen.
I still think refrigeration of your eggs is the answer.
Eggs can be stored for 30–45 Days when refrigerated, and 7–10 Days on room temperature. So you can see how unrefrigerated eggs decline and begin to break down much faster.

I think that there may be an individual component with certain birds being prone to it.

I don't get a lot of weak yolks, but when I do they usually come from a hen who lays eggs with shells that are also otherwise odd -- usually with excess calcium deposits.

What I would try if I were to find myself in your shoes is adding a little more animal protein to the flock's diet, for example, open a can of mackerel once a week and let them all feast on it. At the same time, cut out all scratch grains and corn. Do this consistently for four weeks and see if the number of broken yolks decrease significantly.

Another possibility is the individuals with the weak yolk issue may be suffering stress that is affecting their yolks. Keep watch for those suspect chickens being bullied when feeding at the feeder. This would affect the amount of protein they're getting with the consequences of egg quality issues.
Does feeding fish change the flavor of the egg?

Back
Top Bottom