Yolks almost always break

Does feeding fish change the flavor of the egg?
The literature I've read says yes, at over 20% of the total diet. One of BYC's members who claims to actual do feed science (as opposed to merely reading about it like I do) says not more than 10% or fishy flavors are noted by some. J Rhode's at home feed recipe - a rather popular one - uses 10% Fish meal, w/o apparent complaint.

tl;dr? @azygous is right - in moderation, its fine. As a substantial portion of the diet, potentially problematic (also, canned fish tends to be expensive and high salt - there are better options if a more permanent adjustment to your feed program is needed).

I've had an issue with the eggs that my Black Australorps lay. The yolk nearly always breaks when I crack open the egg. I thought it might be food related, but it doesn't seem to be. I feed Kalmbach organic starter/grower (20% protein), and very few treats that are not their food wetted into a mash.

I got three more chicks last June, 2 Jersey Giants, and a Jubilee Orpington. The two JGs are laying, and their yolks do not break. The Black Australorps quit laying to molt, and one has just started again. And, her yolks break when I crack the egg. I'm not holding out any hope for the other two to be any different.

Has anyone had this issue with Aussies, or any other breed?
you might check for antibiotics in feed. are they getting oyster shells? If they are not able to scratch in ground they're problaby not getting some minerals they need. Years ago I had 300 black australops, feed them cracked corn, wheat and oats year round, never had this problem. Stress can also be a factor. some times some little thing will affect their laying . b/a and rir are usually calm birds. jd.

Back
Top Bottom