Young and old chickens and turkeys dying every couple days!!! HELP!!

jojofshby

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 15, 2011
My current setup consist of 8 outdoor runs half covered and shade clothed, Roughly 12X12 each, no more than 6 chicken per run, one roo per run. I have Blk and Buff cochins, light brahams, Americanas, penciled Wynadottes, Blk Minorcas, Buff polish, barred rockes, red leghorns, blk jersey giants, a few mixed and had 6 turkeys from a local breeder ( chicks were thru McMurray-LOVED- and the rest thru local breeders and me!) I feed pelleted egg layer, scratch once a week, and a high protien crumble for the turkeys. In the summer bedding is pine needles because of the amount of rain here , hay and pine shavings retain too much moisture but used in the winter.Recently have had a serious out break of something going on in the outdoor runs! It has been hot and humid the past few months here in SW FL, & over the past weeks I have had my flocks decimated by something killing both 10 weeks chickens, 1-5 years chickens and turkeys of all ages. It might have started with an older Blk Cochin male who just sat on a perch all day( which was very unusual since he was a ham!) next day he was dead. After a 3 weeks eveyone was behaving normal, since i wasnt sure his age and the heat was pretty high i just assumed it was natural. The chicks which i had been raising since June (in a shed) were large enought to go outdoors along with the turkeys that were raised with them. Eveything was great, chicks were growing but i did notice a severe drop in egg production( like none) but i just attributed that to the heat, Come August, 2 cochins from last years batch died, a few weeks later 2 barred rocks 4 yrs old died, now over the past week 15 of the 10 week chicks have died, 4 turkeys, and 4 older hens, i have medicated with an antibiotic the past 2 weeks recomended by my local feed store but unfortunatly they have kept dying. The symptoms included slow, not feeding, minimal drinking, some have had cloudy eyes, noticed running stool in the runs, wings hung low, sitting down alot, faces and combs are lighter in color. Within days of showing these symptoms both turkey and chickens are dead. The chicks from the hatchery were vaccinated for mareks and something else i cant remember currently. Ive dewormed last year but never have had a problem before. Im in a heavily wooded area with wild birds (near corkscrew sanctuary), but the chickens and turkeys are not free range nor do i have a problem with rats or mice but we do get alot of standing water in the area. There are other flock owners in the area but i havnt spoken to anyone if they are having the same problems. Im at a loss for whats going on and dont want to lose everyone!!!
sad.png

I would suggest your talking to the local poultry lab for your area. Usually run through the State Department of Agriculture.

Did you isolate your mcmurray chicks when they arrived...If not, the mareks vaccine they had may have shed to the others.

Speaking of isolation...Did you practice isolation of new chicks, birds to your flock.

I'm not sure what you mean by clouded eyes. Mareks has clouded eyes involved but usually a weak gait, with chickens walking rather drunkedly.

Is there any respiratory problem included?

With best wishes and prayers heading your way! Nancy

hi nancy,

yes the chicks were isolated for 8 weeks prior to introduction to the flocks and the youngest in theexisting flocks were 12 months, i do notice open mouths but i dont know if its the heat( 93F). The only cloudy eyes ive seen are with the 10 week Polish roo

Are you giving anticocidousis feed to the young ones?

I definitely think a call to your poultry lab is justified and worth the time, effort. Usually they do the tests for free

Even if you are using a feed with amprollium, the coccidiostat, in it they are not getting enough. You are describing most of the symptoms to a t. Get some Corid 9.6% and treat them for 5 days. Then give yogurt to repopulate good gut bacteria. They need to be exposed then cured to develop resistance. The warm, wet conditions are perfect for a spike in cocci.
Worming may also help even if you are not seeing any visible worms. At this stage I would prefer Eprinex which is the pour-on Ivermectin. Apply 1/4cc for bantam size and 1/2cc for grown birds. Use a syringe with no needle to put it on the skin (not feathers) at the back of the neck. It will also help with mites or lice. It may not kill all, but it will reduce the load. Feed them raw, chopped liver. They are probably anemic due to a parasite load.
Check them for mites around the vent and under wings in the wing-pits. (Is that a word? If not, should be.) If they have mites use a dust to eliminate them. Either 7 dust or a Permethrin.
Don't drag around and play with DE or pumpkin seeds or you will loose your flock. Natural remedies work better as preventatives, but you have birds dieing and need something faster and stronger.

Mark

mark,

The general anitbiotics have been given thru the water not thru feed. I will try the corid. Also, can i treat for worms and mites while treating for this at the same time, or at different stages?

Last edited:
I'm thinking it could be cocci, which is deadly and kills quickly. Hot, damp weather is just perfect for cocci. I would treat everybody with Corid in the drinking water, and also some Tylan, because sometimes the cocci causes infection in the intestines due to the severe irritation.

I'm no expert, but that's how I would handle it.

I would go ahead with the pour-on wormer too. You have a deadly problem and taking time looses birds for you. I wouldn't put the wormer through the stomach. It already has enough problems I'm afraid. Chicmom has good idea on antibiotic. I would give Redcell or some other iron booster to fight the blood loss that appears to be going on by description. I don't think you can afford to take it slow.
Good luck.

Mark

Current Status of flock..to much dismay i continue to lose birds but at a much slower rate. I have treated for coci with medicated feed and water, treated for mites and worms. I have lost entire breeds such as the barred rocks, all cochins, all polish, and red leg horns. I havnt loss any older light Brahams except for one chick. I am starting to get very upset seeing seeing empty pens and unhappy birds. If i do end up losing everyone i dont think im going to keep any poultry till maybe i get the yard leveled and cleared so that the area remains dryer and elevated. Im not really sure if there is any other medication or route to try, if anyone as any suggestions i would greatly appreciate them. THX
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom