Young Barred Rock Bloody And Poopy Vent Issue - Urgent

We got most of it off, which is super great. A small and thin patch is still on her tissue. It seems close to her opening and makes her noticeably uncomfortable when worked with. Since it was part of the innermost layers of gunk, it is probably drier than the rest. Additionally, it is right on top of the most sensitive part of her already sensitive tissue, so me and my dad decided to get it off later rather than force it off and possibly cause damage. Tonight I will give her a second bath and try to very gently work off the final patch. If I can't, we will just do what we did today tomorrow to get it off. I'm so relived it has worked. The small bit of tissue that was trapped underneath seems healthy. I've applied ointment and her tissue has receded a bit, probably due to the ointment. Now without that major blockage, I think she will be on the path to better recovery.

I'm glad you were able to work on her some more and see progress.

Keep up the good work and of course keep the tissue moist with your ointments/oils.
Hopefully the rest will slough off and heal so she can finally be able to retain the tissue.

When you can, get us some updated photos, I'm sure it must look better, she probably feels a little better too.

So we're still working on getting all of it off. My dad wasn't able to help me yesterday and so the gunk got worse. Today he helped me and we got a lot of stuff off of the end of the tissue, but the hen started getting really distressed after a while so we stopped, gave a her a super long soak for a whole hour, and tried again. We still didn't get it all off but we made a big dent. My dad decided we should try to push it back in in case that would help, but it was too big and I forgot to keep cleaning afterwards. Cleaning that particular area is hard because it's not easy to tell the difference between flesh and poop, so I can't have friction or use tweezers on much. Also, at one point her tissue started turning clockwise during cleaning and now it's curved towards the left rather than the right. What's worrying me is how inflated/swelled the tissue seems. I think it might filled with egg or egg material that's blocked by the tip with dried gunk. I am not sure though. If that's the case, is there a way to get it out of her or at least help her release it? I'll check that manual from the start of the thread, as I think that information was included.
So I guess the plan for tomorrow is more cleaning and getting her swelling down, especially if it is due to egg buildup.
I feel like she might be getting worse healthwise. She's getting really thin and her appetite and thirst have gone down. She despises my attempts to feed calcium now and I can't manage to pop it into her mouth either because she keeps moving it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230514_205418925_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230514_205418925_HDR.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230514_205407602_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230514_205407602_HDR.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I would like to emphasize that I'm not sure she has an egg stuck. It could be really inflamed tissue. I put the photos to see if someone could tell for sure. I applied ointment before taking them. I can take more photos tomorrow if needed.

The swelling does look worse today.
Hard to know why she's swelling more - all of your thoughts would be valid, it's just which one.

You have done well taking care of her. It sounds like she may be getting tired and beginning to decline. Sometimes that does happen. Give her a few days and see if the swelling goes down. Since she's at a place where the Calcium is horrible for her, then stop giving it. Love on her and do the best you can.

Would it be a good idea to let her out for an hour or more each day? It might help her get energized. At the very least it'll help her mentally. I'll stop giving calcium for a while, and when I do start again I'll try to get calcium citrate.

Let her out for a few hours today. I think I am going to start supplementing calcium again soon. I think it is my method she has grown to dislike, rather than the calcium itself. The stuff I would mix it with went sour, and I should have noticed that. Anyway she seems to be eating and drinking a bit more and overall she acts and sounds slightly livelier, though her swelling doesn't seem to have gone down much. Does anyone have some things I could try to help her swelling go down besides the hydrocortisone cream? She can still poop but it looks like a struggle for her due to the small space she has.

Back
Top Bottom