Young Hen Stopped Laying

GaDawgChic

Songster
Mar 18, 2022
Hi again everyone! I'm back needing some advice again because as a first time chicken owner I constantly second guess myself! I have 4 ISA Brown's that are about 5 1/2 months old. They all started laying around 20-22 weeks old. I was getting 4 eggs a day until last week. I've only been getting 3 eggs a day since last Friday. So, I feel like one hen must have stopped laying for about 4 days in a row now. Everyone is eating, drinking, scratching, talking, dust bathing as usual and all combs are still the bright red color as usual. Is this a normal occurrence type of thing with new, young hens or should I be looking at things a little closer? No one has any poop covering their feathers on their back ends and I have stood out there and watched each one poop and no problems there either. They are all eating Purina Omega 3 Laying Pellets with Fresh Eggs Daily Brewers Yeast and Garlic Chicken Supplement appropriately mixed in. I give them some weeds out of the yard once or twice a week. I will also give them a snack of mealworms, squash & zuccinni, or strawberry tops maybe once every other week or so. I don't give them those snacks all mixed together, those are just the choices that I pull from for snacks. It's not a lot of any of it, just a little treat for them from time to time. I am thinking this is just a normal thing and will correct itself once her body tells itself to lay again. What do all of your veteran chicken owners think?

New layers sometimes take breaks. nothing to worry about. Don't give them any supplements for longer than 10 days in a row.
Thank you for responding! That is what I was thinking since they all seemed to be acting like their normal silly selves. Of course I waited to post and waited to post and then BAM as soon as I posted today I went out before picking my son up from school and there was an egg in the nesting box so I got 4 today.

The Brewer's Yeast w/Garlic is mixed into their food so it's a very minimal amount that they get each time they eat. I use a 5 gallon bucket for a feeder and I even fill it one gallon at a time, mix a small amount, fill another gallon of feed, then mix another small amount, etc until I get the bucket filled with their feed. I also give a little less than what is suggested as well so I don't give them too much. We just love these 4 little ladies and they have such great personalities. We love it when we go out and they come running over to the corner of the run and start talking so loud!

Not all hens lay an egg every single day. In fact, most don’t. 5-6 eggs per week is considered very good. They could all still be laying. Just not every hen every day.
Yes I was thinking about that too. They are ISA Brown's so I know they will lay more than most since they are bred to be production birds. I have read so much about some not being able to get an egg out or they get egg bound and I let my mind freak me out. Even though I know I would most likely see some sort of sign sometimes I allow myself to dwell on it too much and then my mind goes to racing. That's why I love this forum for help. If I give as much information about it as possible, I always get some pretty solid advice on here! Honestly, I'm ok with them not laying as often in hopes they live a good long life, even after they are done laying. We absolutely love these 4 little ladies. They are so much fun and are pretty funny with their little personalities.

in hopes they live a good long life, even after they are done laying
My oldest hen is a Sussex, age 6, and tho she has slowed down, she still lays about 4 eggs per week. She and all the others stop laying for the winter. Yours may keep laying all winter, being a production breed. You’ll have to update us.....

Back
Top Bottom