Young hen stopped laying

kelleykl

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 21, 2010
My girl started laying a couple of weeks ago and was very regular--one egg every day or two--for 2 weeks. Suddenly, this week, she has stopped laying. She always laid in the nest box. I've noticed a lot of feathers in the pen, but from what I've read, she's too young to be molting. The days are still long.... And she doesn't come out of the coop/pen for free range until late afternoon... Should I be worried? Or just shrug it off to the complex system that is egg laying?

P.S. I've got two other pullets who haven't started laying yet.

First, Welcome to BYC!!

Next, I'm wondering if she could be egg bound. I'm no expert, but I'm sure someone will come along and give you a more knowledgeable opinion.

welcome-byc.gif

Sometimes they take a break in the begining. Just watch her. If she is staying in the nest all the time she might be a broody.

I took a look at her and she looks fine. And I found this description of egg-binding on Dummies.com
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-treat-egg-binding-in-chickens.html
A hen who’s egg bound will sit on the floor or ground. Her feathers will be fluffed, and she’ll be drowsy and act sick. Sometimes you’ll actually see her strain as if trying to produce the egg. More often, you’ll notice her tail pumping up and down.

She is acting great. Practically charged me down last night when she thought I was bringing her an after dinner treat. I'm starting to think someone is stealing my eggs!​

Look for a hidden clutch of eggs. One of my new layers after laying the nest box for the first couple weeks decided that she wasn't going to lay there anymore. It took me 2 weeks to find her 6 hidden eggs.

Back
Top Bottom