Young Hen Walking Like a Duck

Dicy Ann

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2021
Hi all. My Rhode Island Red is 2.5 months old. I just noticed that she is walking like a duck. I’ve looked all thru the forum and most answers are related to internal laying and other scary sounding issues. My gal hasn’t started laying yet, and I thought she was too young to be laying. I’m not sure what to check for to see if she’s stuck trying to lay her first egg… I think in this picture you can see how she’s squatted down. She walked like that for a few moments before running away normally. Otherwise she is acting completely normal.

Attachments

• 38AC5E64-C9A9-4AEF-8390-FCF24B17DE59.jpeg
    38AC5E64-C9A9-4AEF-8390-FCF24B17DE59.jpeg
    934.1 KB · Views: 23
Is she pooping normally? Check her vent area for feces stuck in feathers and fluff. If she is constipated, mix some apple sauce in her feed to eat. It acts as a mild laxative in chickens.

Hi all. My Rhode Island Red is 2.5 months old. I just noticed that she is walking like a duck. I’ve looked all thru the forum and most answers are related to internal laying and other scary sounding issues. My gal hasn’t started laying yet, and I thought she was too young to be laying. I’m not sure what to check for to see if she’s stuck trying to lay her first egg… I think in this picture you can see how she’s squatted down. She walked like that for a few moments before running away normally. Otherwise she is acting completely normal.
That looks like what my hens do when they have a lot of dirt in their feathers from a dust bath to me...unless she does it when she is not taking a dust bath??

I see dirt in her feathers, after they dust bath, if they have dirt stuck in them still, they walk really weird until they can find a new place to lay down and dust bathe. It might not be your case...but it happens to my hens if they are kicked away from their original dust bathing spot...

Attachments

• C290847B-CEB4-4140-AC8B-03C19BB6A188.jpeg
    C290847B-CEB4-4140-AC8B-03C19BB6A188.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 13
Is she pooping normally? Check her vent area for feces stuck in feathers and fluff. If she is constipated, mix some apple sauce in her feed to eat. It acts as a mild laxative in chickens.
Thank you!
Her vent is clean and feathers are fluffy. I saw her poo yesterday but haven’t yet today. Although I’ll admit we’ve had a late morning since it’s chilly today. I’ll be keeping an eye on her today to make sure she’s pooing regularly.

I see dirt in her feathers, after they dust bath, if they have dirt stuck in them still, they walk really weird until they can find a new place to lay down and dust bathe. It might not be your case...but it happens to my hens if they are kicked away from their original dust bathing spot...

Oh that makes sense too. I just built them this new garden bed yesterday. They were taking a dust bath then laid down to nap. It was so cute I walked over there to get a picture and I disturbed their sleep. She was perfectly fine all the rest of yesterday and this morning she’s running around like normal. Already had a bug for breakfast!

Oh that makes sense too. I just built them this new garden bed yesterday. They were taking a dust bath then laid down to nap. It was so cute I walked over there to get a picture and I disturbed their sleep. She was perfectly fine all the rest of yesterday and this morning she’s running around like normal. Already had a bug for breakfast!
Yeah, the dirt does weigh them down quite a bit, as long as she is acting fine otherwise, I would not worry about it...they seem to love the garden bed! Lovely chickens!!!:love

Back
Top Bottom