Young hens having flatulence.. need advice

Joey forest bay

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2018
Hello, I'm new here ! I am rather new to having chickens, and I see there are a lot of experienced chicken owners who I would really love advice from. I have had my 8 girls ever since they were about 3 weeks, (they are about 7 months now ) and up until a few weeks ago they seemed perfectly healthy. All 8 of my hens have swollen stomachs and they all are farting alot! Apparently you " can't " hear chickens pass wind, but Their farts are rather loud and smelly. This started a few weeks ago and it's still going right now. because it looks like they all have the same one, I only took one to the vet, where it was confirmed taht they do in deed have gas. I was just told to monitor them. And come back if it gets worse. I tried giving a them warm baths and rubbing them, and when I do that it , they start farting like crazy !! I heard that birds only fart if they have a cloaca infection or a intestine infection. Does anyone have any advice or ever experienced something similar in their chickens? I really could use some help.

[QUOTE="chickenreyna, post

Thanks for the advice! I definitely will bathe them in episome salt, i am trying to Best ways to help them, im still not sure just what is exactly wrong with them. All I know of as of right now is that for some reason they are swollen and are very gassy. I have no idea what could have caused this to happen. I'm still trying to figure it out. But in the meantime I'm just trying to keep them from experienceing more discomfort then they are all ready in.

I did not now chickens flatulence :eek: Did the Vet not give you a clue as to what maybe causing it? What to do about it? I've got no clue whats the problem but you could try giving them some plain yogurt, probiotics?

What are you feeding them?
If you are feeding commercial feed, have you checked for mold?
Do they free range? What vegetation do you have in the area?
Are you giving any treats? If so what treats?

All 8 of my hens have swollen stomachs and they all are farting alot! Apparently you " can't " hear chickens pass wind, but Their farts are rather loud and smelly. This started a few weeks ago and it's still going right now. because it looks like they all have the same one, I only took one to the vet, where it was confirmed taht they do in deed have gas.
Good questions by @ChickNanny13 if you can answer those, that would be good.

Did the vet perform a fecal float or a gram stain - if they didn't, the best thing you can do is take some stool samples to get tested.

Can you post some photos of the poop, your housing and of your chickens?

Since all your chickens appear to have the same problem, you will want to start with what you are feeding. Get a fresh bag of feed-check your mill date. Give only chicken feed and fresh water for a few days to see if that makes a difference (no treats, no veggies/fruit, no free ranging). Clean up all excess poop in your run and coop. Check all your girls for external parasites.

[QUOTE="ChickNanny13,
( Sorry about the late reply))
The vets are looking deeper into it, the say that they would contact me back when they know what is causing it for sure. I don't have any Clues on what it could be. As for the diet, they do eat commercial chicken food as well as pet store bought mealworms, vegetables, and sometimes grass, not too much vegetation around here aside from the grass and a few dandelion's and flowers. They are in free ranged for a good part of the day they stay in the grass, and i have been searching for anything unusual in or near the grass but they may have Eaten, but so far I don't find anything unusual with the grass.

I would do as Wyorp Rock advised ... Keep them only on their feed, no treats nor free ranging for at least a week, see how that works.

What's the brand/type of commercial feed you're feeding? Have you checked it for freshness? Oh, too much MW maybe a problem too, it's protein and when mine get into the container (cause the lid's not on tight) they get runny, dark poop. Now I put the MW in a jar with a screw on lid :rolleyes:

Hopefully the Vet calls back soon ...

Back
Top Bottom