Young OE hen in reproductive crisis

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Title describes the situation. Came home today at about 4 and found my young OE pullet/hen (not sure if she has laid yet) fluffed up and acting sick. I grabbed her and noticed she was emaciated. She did not eat when I filled up the feeders. This particular hen has had some sort of deformity her whole life that has caused her tail to be bent down and slightly sideways. So her tail is always down. Her entire back end was covered in feces, but her vent looked swollen. I bathed her to get a better look. Vent looks irritated and painful, though no swelling. She is setup in a pen in the bathroom with food and water. She has barely touched either. She has not passed any normal droppings, and her abdomen feels slightly enlarged and firm. I suspect an obstruction of some sort. She is passing some very fowl smelling liquid, some of which is stained pink.
I gave her two tablets of this calcium immediately. Gave two because last time I asked I was suggesting to give two since the dose of calcium wasn’t as strong. I’ve seen no improvement. The bathroom is warm and I’m keeping it dark. She’s just sitting hunched at the moment and obviously feels awful. Anything I’m forgetting which I can do for her? I’m concerned as I’m super busy this weekend and won’t have much time to tend to her during the day. If any at all.
Thanks for the help!
25994F13-6F50-4A09-B4FD-70898CEE12C7.jpeg 5B06AE25-E595-4C85-8CCE-DAA616DDD280.jpeg

How old is she ? When did she last lay eggs? I would get her vent area cleaned up with mildly soapy warm water, and dry her well. Soaking could push her over the edge if she is extremely weak, but use you own judgement. While near the vent, insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent to feel for an egg, or possibly constipated droppings. Since she is so small, I would use 1/2 tablet of 600 mg calcium with D daily in case she is egg bound. I would offer scrambled egg, tuna, canned cat food to coax her to eat, but wet chicken feed would be best. Who knows what is wrong, but she could have cancer or a reproductive problem.

Looks like she's suffered some damage to the vent.
Perhaps she initially had prolapsed tissue that was picked at before it went back in.
I agree, the back end does look swollen.

Iirc, you had a hen last year that had prolapse and damaged tissue. Treat this the same way.
Work on hydration, then see if she'll eat a bit for you.

Photos of poop may help too.

1675440779022.jpeg

Thanks! I was wondering if there was a prior prolapse. I did feel for an egg quickly this morning and all I think I felt was constipated droppings. No egg as far as I could tell. She has been passing whole strands of what looks like grass, though I’m not sure how she’d be getting any grass in the run this time of year. Bedding is shavings.
I’ll bath her daily, apply honey, keep up with calcium and keep her warm like with Lacey. Thank you!
Having a blockage/constipation could also cause prolapse, so I'd work on getting her to go. Coconut oil orally twice a day, a little applesauce or tomato juice. See if those help move her bowels.

Update: she’s doing about the same this morning, but she’s plugging along. I was able to get her to eat some tuna, and she’s still picking away at it now. This is the only calcium I can find at the moment, but I can get more calcium citrate tomorrow. Says there’s 250mg of calcium in one tablet so I crushed two on top of her tuna. I would have popped it in her beak but I’m hoping she’ll eat it herself so I can stress as little possible.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 1
How old is she ? When did she last lay eggs? I would get her vent area cleaned up with mildly soapy warm water, and dry her well. Soaking could push her over the edge if she is extremely weak, but use you own judgement. While near the vent, insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent to feel for an egg, or possibly constipated droppings. Since she is so small, I would use 1/2 tablet of 600 mg calcium with D daily in case she is egg bound. I would offer scrambled egg, tuna, canned cat food to coax her to eat, but wet chicken feed would be best. Who knows what is wrong, but she could have cancer or a reproductive problem.
Thanks! She is a 28 week old pullet. Im
Not sure if she is laying, but I just started to get about an egg every other day from either her or her sister. So they could be sharing the duty or only one is laying, but that has been going on for a few weeks now.
I cleaned her up last night to the best of my ability, but will do so again today if she gets messy. I didn’t blow dry her, but did a good towel dry and the bathroom she’s in has been warm. I’ll feel for the blockage today and continue to use calcium. Hopefully I can get her to eat something.

Looks like she's suffered some damage to the vent.
Perhaps she initially had prolapsed tissue that was picked at before it went back in.
I agree, the back end does look swollen.

Iirc, you had a hen last year that had prolapse and damaged tissue. Treat this the same way.
Work on hydration, then see if she'll eat a bit for you.

Photos of poop may help too.

View attachment 3394331
Thanks! I was wondering if there was a prior prolapse. I did feel for an egg quickly this morning and all I think I felt was constipated droppings. No egg as far as I could tell. She has been passing whole strands of what looks like grass, though I’m not sure how she’d be getting any grass in the run this time of year. Bedding is shavings.
I’ll bath her daily, apply honey, keep up with calcium and keep her warm like with Lacey. Thank you!

@Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive

Can you give her raw yolk to see if that entices her to eat? I haven't seen pink droppings in my hens, only shed lining in juvenile birds. If she doesn't eat raw yolk or anything else you would consider a treat I would force feed her and offer sweetened water to get her blood sugar up.

Having a blockage/constipation could also cause prolapse, so I'd work on getting her to go. Coconut oil orally twice a day, a little applesauce or tomato juice. See if those help move her bowels.
Thanks! I was just thinking I should try some coconut oil. I also have both applesauce and tomato juice. I’ll see if she’ll eat any of it on her own.

Update: unfortunately Olive passed yesterday evening. 😞
I knew it was coming, she looked like she had given up yesterday morning, she was hunkering in a corner and wouldn’t eat or drink. I used a syringe to give her water since she hadn’t drank much at all. Kept up with calcium, but by then I think she already stopped fighting.
Thanks so much everyone for the help, I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom