Young pullet acting strange! Help!!

asfalothgem

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 2, 2007
I bought this pullet from my local farm store in late august/early september, when we first brought her home she was absolutly lifeless and we didn't think she'd make it through the night. But she did and she was bossing out other pullet around. About a month later we ran out of chick starter and so i fed them oatmeal for a week or two. We bought more starter but when i gave it to them she was acting really strange. She was weak acting and falling over. Laying on her side for a while. I took that food out and switched them back onto oatmeal. Either the chick starter itself was bad or she was to old to be eating it. So i dismissed it. Now she is doing the same thing, not as bad as before but she acts like there is maybe something on her wing hurt. Could this be causing her to fall? She also walks with a little limp. I just noticed it and i really don't think she could have hurt it. She is alert and eats and drinks, but it's still worrisome. Any Ideas?? The other pullet she is with is perfectly fine. They are just eating oatmeal,no starter or grower. Does she need grower?? Could that be cauing this? She is probably 3months or older.

I don't know if this is the only factor, but oatmeal is completely inadequate for nutrition for a growing chick. They need high protein and more vitamins and minerals than oatmeal provides. The other starter may have been tainted if they began acting strangely after eating it, but get another bag and get them to eating right away. Malnutrition could be alot of your problem here. Also, get some plain yogurt with active cultures and mix some of the feed in it once a day-it will help them absorb nutrients and set up a good balance in their gut.

I have to agree with the nutritional issue. I would get them on a good chick feed (nonmedicated) to start. Also add poly-vi-sol vitamins to the water to get vitamins into their system. I don't think you said how long this was going on, but if it came on rather sudden, I would also lean towards marek's disease. Any other birds showing symptoms or is it just one?

Jody

I don't think the food is causing your problem, at least not yet. Certainly its not an appropriate food for a chick, no where close to complete. Chicks should eat Starter/Grower until 5 months or so.

Common things like coccidia can cause general weakness, and if she's not been on a medicated diet I would consider that. I would also think about Marek's, as that can often start with limping and lead to progressive paralysis of wings and legs. Of course, chickens don't always read the books.

I have a golden sebright roo who has had his whole right side dropped down for a week or so. It has trouble flying too. i called my great uncle who knows everything about animals and he said it may have had a stroke. are these you chickens problems?

Back
Top Bottom