Young rooster aggressive towards pullets

platinum

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
Virginia
I have a young rooster about 6 weeks old. I haven't been around chickens very long, but this chicken seems really mean to all the other chickens. The other chickens (mostly pullets as far as I can tell) will occassionally peck each other to establish dominance. This rooster grabs other chickens and holds them to the ground. The other chickens scream and run from him. He really seems to have it in for one of my older chickens (about 19 weeks), He chases her, jumps on her and holds her to the ground. Luckily it seems she has a guardian chicken not afraid of the rooster that will protect her and attack the rooster when he attacks her.

I'm very concerned about this behavior as it doesn't seem normal from what I've seen of the chickens. I want to get rid of this rooster. My husband thinks this is normal behavior.

What does everyone else think?

6 weeks seems young for him trying to mate but I guess anything is possiable. I have a younger Roo that is same way and most time hen won't put up with it and turns arounds and attacks him.

Sounds like premating behavior to me too, although he's definitely on the young side for behaviors you've described. That's more of what you see in 4 month olds rather than his age. Most cockerels his age are only pecking and maybe occasionally grabbing neck feathers. Some cockerels (and Roos) are less/more aggressive than others as their hormones kick in. Personally, he sounds like he's going to be a holy terror to me...if he gets worse, I'd consider other options for this fella. But that's just me...I like cockerels/Roos who aren't so pushy with my pullets/hens...

Back
Top Bottom