Your 2024 Garden

Pics
I was lucky and gifted 2 water bath canners, and we bought a pressure canner last year. Tested out some different things. Pickles were too soft, so have to find a better way to make them. Sauce, applesauce, beans, and chicken soup came out great. Beets had no flavor (I did not pickle them, just made them regular). Pickled red onions are a new favorite. May try carrots this year. More beans, less beets (maybe pickled this time).

I was lucky and gifted 2 water bath canners, and we bought a pressure canner last year. Tested out some different things. Pickles were too soft, so have to find a better way to make them. Sauce, applesauce, beans, and chicken soup came out great. Beets had no flavor (I did not pickle them, just made them regular). Pickled red onions are a new favorite. May try carrots this year. More beans, less beets (maybe pickled this time).
We always pickle the beets. Never had pickled red onions. I just bought some read onion plants yesterday so that is as possibility. The beets you canned can still be pickled if you have any left.

Try fermenting pickles

Oh! How can I do that now?

Great idea!
When my kitchen engineer is awake again I'll ask her. She has a shoulder out of commission and is well medicated with what the doc gave her. I know she told me that she cooked the beets before the pickling process. We've been trying to find gallon cans of either cut or whole beets to pickle. Not easy to find in our neck of the woods.

It's raining on my parade today. Someone turned on the big overhead faucet and has forgotten ow to turn it off before dark. On the bright side there will be more moisture in the subsoil for use latter. I hope I put my buckets of fertilizer under the carport and didn't leave them in the cart outside. If I did it will dry out like cement and I will have to figure a way to deal with it. I tilled into the dark of night yesterday to at least get the corn patched worked up good. Mathematically l have prepared a plot big enough to produce 144 dozen ears with will feed us and family and a few friends in need.

I also have a cubic yard of chicken run compost that I set aside in fall, so if weather holds up tomorrow or Friday I'll top off each bed with 5-6 buckets of that, and the beds will be ready for planting once temperatures are agreeable!
Forgot I had this on my camera. Here's the raised beds prepped and ready for spring planting (I usually start mid-March).

dirt.jpg

Turns out I had a lot more chicken run compost than I thought, I ended up putting 8-9 buckets into each bed and there's still a bit leftover for potted plants or flower beds. 👍

Back
Top Bottom