Your Favorite Rooster

DallasChickyMomma

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 13, 2010
East Texas
I need to get a rooster. I have 2 acres with pigs, goats and ducks. The pigs and goats keep bad animals away mostly, but I want another layer of protection for my free rangers, who spend most of their time in the sight line of my house, but I have little kids, and can't always be watching. I am looking for the best recommendations for these requirements:

Will protect the girls if needed, but need an alarm sounder mostly.
Not an obnoxious crower. Yes, let me know there's a situation, please don't offend the neighbors too much.
People friendly, or at least not aggressive. I don't need a lap chicken, but I DO need to be able to work around the girls. Be wary if you want, but I will eat attackers.
Lastly, what breed it is doesn't matter as much, but would prefer a darker colored chicken.

What you want is not a breed, or even a color... what you want is a cockerel that has been raised up in a multi-generational flock with an owner who has a sharp knife. If this person has kept this extra rooster it is because he has some very good qualities. If you can get him as close to a year old, the better.

However, not all roosters are good roosters, a lot of them are not worth the corn, so to speak. no matter what kind of rooster, do not let the little kids share a yard with the chickens, if they are under the age of 6. Rooster will often attack them first and at face level, with not a lot of warnings.

Mrs K

If you could order a rooster like that, he'd be worth his weight in ... plutonium! IME with roosters you kind of get what you get and if he doesn't meet your criteria you try again until you get that really good one. I've got a wondrrful one right now and I would not part with him for any price. Good luck!

They are much like people, they each have their own personality and way about them so there is no definite breed to give you that will meet all your expectations. I agree with @Mrs. K raise them in a multi generational flock so they'll learn some manners. I have an English Orpington Roo, raised with ladies aged from 10 months to 3+yrs, just over a year old, very good boy, takes care of his ladies, minds my space, and does not interfere with what I'm doing if I'm tending to the girls. Take your time, because there are great roos to be found

Attachments

• 20230408_144243.jpg
    20230408_144243.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom