Your thoughts on having "tame" chicks??

I havent gotten any personal experience yet. However, I read in another thread a couple of months ago about raising the chicks in something like a dog crate that opens from the front so you are not "attacking" the chicks from above. They have a natural fear of this as hawks and such, are of course a very real danger. This person had raised two different sets of chicks one in a regular container and the other in a dog crate. The chicks raised in a dog crate turned out much more friendly. This person felt that having the access at ground level made the difference. I may try to find the thread and post it if possible. It was really interesting.

When we have had chicks around, we let them perch on our finger and we pet under their chin, down there neck. Seems to be less frightening then a hand over their head. I have noticed it calms them down and perching on something as well seems to stop them from wanting to jump out of your hands. We have done this with easter eggers and mutts- all of which have grown to not run away from me, but rather come running when they see me. I have a call for them "come on babies! here babies" that I use when I am feeding them or letting them out. They all seem to have done well- although not tame like my cats or dog- but friendly. I joke that they listening to me better then my dog or kids!! lol Have fun with it. The more you bond, the more enjoyable your chicken family will be.

On the subject of loud noises; Mine have learned to love the sound of the gasoline weed eater. They equate that noise with fresh cut greens.
smile.png

On the subject of loud noises; Mine have learned to love the sound of the gasoline weed eater. They equate that noise with fresh cut greens. :)

Mine love the lawn mower. They know that means greens and bugs kicked up! Meantime the dog is petrified of it. I tell her, Ok, Who's the chicken NOW?

My five day olds are not perching on my finger very well. They act like they'd rather stand up. But I read about people putting a roost in the brooder. I'm going to try that tonight and see what happens.

Interesting to hear about coming at them from overhead. I never thought about that but it makes sense.

When we have had chicks around, we let them perch on our finger and we pet under their chin, down there neck. Seems to be less frightening then a hand over their head. I have noticed it calms them down and perching on something as well seems to stop them from wanting to jump out of your hands. We have done this with easter eggers and mutts- all of which have grown to not run away from me, but rather come running when they see me. I have a call for them "come on babies! here babies" that I use when I am feeding them or letting them out. They all seem to have done well- although not tame like my cats or dog- but friendly. I joke that they listening to me better then my dog or kids!! lol Have fun with it. The more you bond, the more enjoyable your chicken family will be.

Mine like to be put in the palm of the hand and covered by the other hand. I assume it is for warmth and that still-in-the-egg feeling.

As for tame chickens, I am a little mixed on the subject. Chickens won't be pets for us, we have egg layers and eventually meat for the stew, but I do not want something that will go crazy at us coming up to them. Nor do I want my son attacked.

Tame chickens are best.
I found that if you tap or scratch your finger in the brooder, they will eventually come running up to your finger to find out what "MAMA" is getting for them to eat.
They always run to the other side when I first come up; but that is a good thing. It's natural for them to hide when something startles than. They are afterall VERY low on the food chain.

Just scratch and peck a bit and they will come around. I give them treats sometimes too. Although at 5 days I think they were just playing with the lettuce and apple bits.

Tame chickens are good for when you need to interact with them in the coop when they get older.
Most of my older girls will come to me.
One will not. If I have to get a hold of her for any reason(...limp, want to check her over etc.) I have to run around bent over, hand outstretched.... very undignified.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom