Solved Zombie Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems to be an issue recently, folks responding to old threads sometimes repeatedly. Is there a way to post a message to let new folks know to check the date of the original thread before they respond?
I noticed that…
But at first I thought you were talking about all the people who are up talking on BYC until the wee hours of the morning :D!

This seems to be an issue recently, folks responding to old threads sometimes repeatedly. Is there a way to post a message to let new folks know to check the date of the original thread before they respond?
On the post that I think you're talking about, I think the whole point of the person joining was because they saw the old post. With BYC, the images posted on here will come across in the images that you find online under a Google search. That being said, the person was most likely searching up that type of chicken, saw the image pull up, went to website (BYC), saw that it wasn't an article but a forum, and assumed they could still get in contact with the person whom they thought had the birds. (If you read over the original post on that thread, the OP was looking for the same birds as well.)

Sometimes, the best thing to do is try to help these newcomers, even if it's just pointing them to post a new thread. ;)

On a side note, we do have this forum here: Buy Sell Auction - Archives, which is for the older BSA postings.

This posting on old threads annoys me too, but recently I was guilty of it… :oops: Someone posted on an ancient thread that they were having the same issue the OP was having with their hen, and it turned out that I was having that issue too. So we had a very good conversation on a zombie thread, proving they are good for some things…

I've just tried to answer their question as the ones I've seen were pretty easy, but also pointing out the age of the thread.

If I didn't know the answer, I pointed out to them that the OP hasn't been on in years so they would get better answers if they would post their issue in a new thread.

I do not think beyond locking old threads there's anything that can be done as these are new people for the most part and it's natural for them to google their problem, see a BYC link, and jump onto it. If they stick around, they learn and catch on.

Yes, BUT. The old threads are valuable resources and I think a lot can be gleaned from them. So what if someone resumes a discussion using an old thread to start. In some cases, I’ve been able to ask the OP how did that turn out? And gotten an answer. That person’s experience can be helpful.
And some threads are for fun and it’s great to take them out, dust them off, and give them new life.

I found it used to be annoying, but now look past it and just try to be helpful. I'm sure I was guilty of it when new and sometimes still don't pay attention to the dates. Having the older threads is much needed and invaluable for searches, but picking and choosing which to respond to and creating a new thread is usually based on panic/emergency based.
It's either that or we get 50 threads in a row about feather loss or no eggs.... 🤣
A flashing red 'search' button that pops up when a "why is my hen having a seizure, writhing in the dirt?" 😃

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom