2015 August hatch-a-long!!

Ew I cleaned up all the cracked shells with a doggy pooperscooper and a trash can lid as protection - the hens are very aggressive. I tapped one with the scooper and it exploded thick Nasty stinky green stuff. Ugh it smells so bad

Last edited:
Ew I cleaned up all the cracked shells with a doggy pooperscooper and a trash can lid as protection - the hens are very aggressive. I tapped one with the scooper and it exploded thick Nasty stinky green stuff. Ugh it smells so bad

Our guinea rooster is super aggressive. He always chases the dogs.

Is it August hatch a long if I set my eggs 8/18 and they hatch in September or should I start a September hatch a long? I'm driving to California and buying 3 dozen black and blue copper Marans. Thanks

Is it August hatch a long if I set my eggs 8/18 and they hatch in September or should I start a September hatch a long? I'm driving to California and buying 3 dozen black and blue copper Marans. Thanks

You can start here if you want so you can share candling/progress updates with us August hatchers and then move to September. Someone might start a September hatch along by the time you get your eggs though because those that are setting on the 11th will be due in September and you are setting on the 18th.

I went out to check on my broody tonight. Almost all of her eggs were broken under her. Her underside is caked with broken, rotten egg. The four she had left were filthy and I threw them out.

I'm going to try to get out tomorrow and give her a bath. If she's still broody after that, I might give her some new, clean eggs. If not, good riddance.

Welcome! Careful driving! Nice choice on eggs!

I set 18 Silkie eggs yesterday and I have a handful of turkey eggs that just went into lockdown! I need to get some new batteries so I can candle.... those turkey eggs are hard to see in but I should be able to see any internal pips pretty easily : )

I went out to check on my broody tonight. Almost all of her eggs were broken under her. Her underside is caked with broken, rotten egg. The four she had left were filthy and I threw them out.

I'm going to try to get out tomorrow and give her a bath. If she's still broody after that, I might give her some new, clean eggs. If not, good riddance.

Oh, NO! Such a disappointment, even when you 'don't count your chickens', I still am so hopeful for them all. I don't know if I would have tossed the intact eggs however dirty, if they were not cracked or rotten I might have tried to clean them. The bloom comes off while she sets them anyway eventually. Were you candling all along, or are they too dark a shell to see? If you really want a larger clutch and don't want to chance her leaving the new clutch when the other 4 hatched, then I understand starting over. Plus if she's a stinky booger, good luck with the cleaning!

I had a couple of hens leave after 1 week earlier this spring while it was still cold and start setting somewhere else, so after following them around and relocating the eggs for a while, I gave up, hoped they hadn't been too cold and finished the last week in a makeshift box incubator. First hen was still broody when the few hatched, so snuck the chicks under her at night and she took them. Now I have another hen with 7 new chicks this week, 3 hens setting and a clutch in the DIY foam chest incubator with 2 incandescent nightlights and a cheap temp/hygro meter. Got that idea I think from a youtube tutorial.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom