ATTN: American Pit Bull owners.

I just recently adopted a pit/boxer mix male, about 2 years old.

He is the best dog! He loves to go for car rides, walks, loves to be petted and spoiled. He is so mild mannered and laid back.

He is very people friendly, so he has been socialized before we got him.

The only trouble we have had is he is able to jump over 6ft chain link fence. The last time he got out, we found him surrounded by 5 young children, 7-9yrs old. He was just laying there soaking up all of the attention.

I have always heard bad things about pits, but my neighbor has 2 of them and they act like little kids. So, that helped me change my mind about them.

I also read that pits love their people. As with all dogs, they need to be around other dogs and people so they are not too protective. Yes, some are animal aggressive, but that is because they were brought up that way.

Obviously, my dog was well socialized and for that we are thankful.

Good luck!
Angie

I think there is too much generalization going on regarding breeds. Unfortunately, views on pits has become similar to views on politics. The "numbers don't lie" statement has some merit except for the fact that many breeds are assumed to be pits because they bite or have a blocky head, etc., when, in fact, they are a different breed all together. In addition, most people love there little cuddly poodles, however, people fail to mention that poodles have a reputation for being aggressive as well and are fear biters.

Dog behavior is not only based on breed, but how they are bred and how they are raised. Not all pits come from fighting stock. Just as how people breed chickens on BYC...an aggressive roo who is people aggressive....chicken stew for dinner and breed with a different rooster. Some people are not responsible with any breed, but that does not give people the right to make generalizations. It is the same thing as making racial sterotypes. It is wrong and incorrect. If someone wants a pit bull, by all means get one. BUT, be responsible (as with ANY dog!) and if it is purebred make sure it from a reputable breeding stock (many breeders will let you meet the parents of the pups too!).

I am partial to herding breeds and agree that they need to be watched with children. As I have said previously, I trust my pit mix (yes, I know...a mix) over my other dogs. Largely, because we raised sine she was a pup to be animal and people friendly, but she always watched regardless!

Everybody needs to hug and accept their different opinions. Responsible owners lead to responsible dogs!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Good post BarkerChickens! I agree with you!

I think that no matter what is said here it will not change the mind of people who are set in their thoughts. That being said, if you don't like pits, there is no reason why you have to own one. However, it should not be up to a few people who dislike a certain type of animal to decide whether or not it is right for other people to have them. Opinion is just that...opinion. Thoughts don't hurt anybody until they are acted upon.

For example, people can be a prejudiced as they want towards another group. Just the fact that someone is prejudice does not mean they are hurting others. It isn't until a person ACTS on those prejudice thoughts that others get hurt.

I do not personally own a pit, but I hate that others are judged based on their choice of dog rather than how responsible an owner they actually are! I see it all the time with insurance companies.

Edited to fix spelling errors.

Last edited:
Quote:
No, it's because that's what they are bred to be. LOL..I feel like I'm going in circles.

You can no more stop a high drive Border Collie from herding then you can a high drive game bred Pitbull from being dog/animal aggressive.

ETA: you can train and socialize them from a young age to curb their instincts, but that basic desire will always be there

Last edited:
wow.. really?? giant schnzer??? why?? all the ones i have known or groomed have been great dogs!!! awesome family dogs and just very mild tempered...

if i had MY way i would ban the ABCs..
afghan.. basset.. cocker....

hahahahah.. poodles known to be agressive and fear biters????? hahahahah yeah right.. you mean chihuahuas right????
i have been grooming 15 years,, and only groomed a couple (2) of crazy poodles.. i have had TONS of nasty shihtzus and llhasas and cockers!! wow, lots of nasty cockers!!!!
but nasty poodles??? you must have a bad breeder near you or something.... breeding crazy little munants..

My friend has 2 rescue Pits. They so wonderful. Buddy will lick your hand right off if you would let him. And Ladybug is as gentle as a can be when she puts her head on your hand to be petted.
love.gif

Sadly she has to put up a sign that says "Beware of Dog" just because of the breed. The worse thing is, she has a beagle that is a holy terror! She has to put up a sign for Buddy and Ladybug but not for the beagle that will rip your foot off!
hmm.png
It just doesn't make sense. I trust her dogs more than I do my MIL's Yorkshire terriers. Her Yorkies will bite at anything that moves. My MIL laughs and says it is because they are so small that everything is s threat to them. I don't care they do not get a bite for free card just because they are small dogs. I have been bite my a Yorkie more times than I can count. I have never been bit by a Pit. And yes I have been around them and I even had a half breed. She was wonderful. I would take a Pit over a Yorkie any day.
smile.png

Quote:
I saw one go thru a glass front door after a UPS guy. That plus the horror stories my mom used to tell me about a G. Sch that tried to eat her every day as she walked to school...

I don't know, I just don't like them. But I certainly don't begrudge anyone the right to own them. Just not my preference.

Bassets?? I love them (tho I've never actually known one, so my love is base entirely on looks HAHA) We had a rescued Afghan growing up, sweet girl. Senile, but sweet.

Harley, the difference is, a Yorkie or Poodle would really have to work hard to cause the damage a larger dog easily could.

First of all, while we can draw correlations to fanatics, that is not what this thread is about. If I remember correctly, it is about proposed legislation/rules that would classify dogs over 40lbs as (potentially) vicious. Dumb idea in my book.

Question-I do not see an "American Pit Bull" on the AKC site, is this a UKC breed?

I believe the actual name is the American Staffordshire Terrier. However, there are many, many, many breeds of dog that look like a "pit bull". Pit bull is just a general term used to describe a dog that looks similar to a bully breed used in pit fighting.

Back
Top Bottom