August Hatch-A-Long

She turned 1 week yesterday and she passed away in my arms around 1 am this morning. Not sure what happened. I went to check on everyone's temps since I raised the lights as it was the 1 week mark so was reducing by 5* and she was laying one her belly but her head and feet were all weird and she didn't jump up and start tweeting when I made noises at her like I do every night before bed and mornings when I get up. I started to pick her up, she felt completely limp. But she was still alive! I put her back down carefully woke my Husband up letting him know something happened. We had to end her, I couldn't let her suffer. She deserved so much more. I didn't want her to be alone So I scooped her up, held her close. Husband went to look for a way to cull a baby chick. Before we had the chance to do anything she passed away in my arms. At least she didn't die alone and she knew love. I fought for her. I gave her a chance when most wouldn't. I knew her odds living a full life was slim but I knew she deserved to have the chance. I saw her start to really peck at the food and water dished 2 days ago. My thoughts of what happened is that she wasn;t gettign enough water/food. She never learned how to scoop her beak. I was hand feeding her but I guess It wasn't enough. RIP faith
hit.gif

She turned 1 week yesterday and she passed away in my arms around 1 am this morning. Not sure what happened. I went to check on everyone's temps since I raised the lights as it was the 1 week mark so was reducing by 5* and she was laying one her belly but her head and feet were all weird and she didn't jump up and start tweeting when I made noises at her like I do every night before bed and mornings when I get up. I started to pick her up, she felt completely limp. But she was still alive! I put her back down carefully woke my Husband up letting him know something happened. We had to end her, I couldn't let her suffer. She deserved so much more. I didn't want her to be alone So I scooped her up, held her close. Husband went to look for a way to cull a baby chick. Before we had the chance to do anything she passed away in my arms. At least she didn't die alone and she knew love. I fought for her. I gave her a chance when most wouldn't. I knew her odds living a full life was slim but I knew she deserved to have the chance. I saw her start to really peck at the food and water dished 2 days ago. My thoughts of what happened is that she wasn;t gettign enough water/food. She never learned how to scoop her beak. I was hand feeding her but I guess It wasn't enough. RIP faith
hit.gif
RIP FAITH!!!!
hit.gif

hit.gif
Oh...I am so sorry
hugs.gif
It's so hard when you put so much into trying to help a chick thrive and it doesn't make it
hit.gif
But it is a good feeling to know that you did everything you could to give Faith a good chance at a happy life...and she did have that while she was with you
smile.png

Oh...I am so sorry
hugs.gif
It's so hard when you put so much into trying to help a chick thrive and it doesn't make it
hit.gif
But it is a good feeling to know that you did everything you could to give Faith a good chance at a happy life...and she did have that while she was with you
smile.png

the thing that gets me is I had her out a few hours before she passed, like I do all chicks when they turn 1 week. She was out with me and my husband exploring the kitchen floor for about 5 minutes, since it wasn't cold in the house. She had a deep dish for food that she liked sleeping on, I was thinking she fell off of it when she was sitting on it and broke her neck, who knows. After she passed I did feel her neck bones but non felt broken. Either way I gave her the best chance she had. it just wasn;t meant to be. It's part of hatching and raising chicks I guess.

the thing that gets me is I had her out a few hours before she passed, like I do all chicks when they turn 1 week. She was out with me and my husband exploring the kitchen floor for about 5 minutes, since it wasn't cold in the house. She had a deep dish for food that she liked sleeping on, I was thinking she fell off of it when she was sitting on it and broke her neck, who knows. After she passed I did feel her neck bones but non felt broken. Either way I gave her the best chance she had. it just wasn;t meant to be. It's part of hatching and raising chicks I guess.
Yep...unfortunately when hatching you have to take the sad with the happy moments
hmm.png
I have found so far with chicks that are struggling when they hatch that the one week mark seems to be a deciding factor if they are going to make it. I had a blue cochin baby I was soooo excited to have and it struggled a bit, but seemed to get stronger and fine like its hatchmates. Then around the one week mark it just got weaker and unfortunately passed
sad.png
But the joy of having and raising chickens keeps us hatching
jumpy.gif
Don't you have a batch getting ready to hatch soon?

Yep...unfortunately when hatching you have to take the sad with the happy moments
hmm.png
I have found so far with chicks that are struggling when they hatch that the one week mark seems to be a deciding factor if they are going to make it. I had a blue cochin baby I was soooo excited to have and it struggled a bit, but seemed to get stronger and fine like its hatchmates. Then around the one week mark it just got weaker and unfortunately passed
sad.png
But the joy of having and raising chickens keeps us hatching
jumpy.gif
Don't you have a batch getting ready to hatch soon?
I have 3 batches all due to hatch next week LOL husband says after this no more until spring. He thought I only had 6 eggs...he checked on eggs and said why are there 15 eggs in there?!" LOL I have 4 silkies that go into lock own Monday, due to hatch thursday. 6 of my flocks eggs go into lockdown Thursday, due to hatch Sunday. and 9 silkie crosses from a neighbor go into lockdown Friday, due to hatch Monday. So hopefully we'll have some more babies ! And I still have Lucky, who I think may be a rooster after comparing the picturs of my flocks sat the same age. Only time will tell though :)

I have 3 batches all due to hatch next week LOL husband says after this no more until spring. He thought I only had 6 eggs...he checked on eggs and said why are there 15 eggs in there?!" LOL I have 4 silkies that go into lock own Monday, due to hatch thursday. 6 of my flocks eggs go into lockdown Thursday, due to hatch Sunday. and 9 silkie crosses from a neighbor go into lockdown Friday, due to hatch Monday. So hopefully we'll have some more babies ! And I still have Lucky, who I think may be a rooster after comparing the picturs of my flocks sat the same age. Only time will tell though :)
LOL...the same thing happened with me the last time I hatched. I started out getting 6 eggs for my broody. She is a bantam and I got bantam eggs...but only put 4 under her since it was her first time hatching. Then I decided to get 8 more eggs...because well....what if the eggs she was sitting on didn't hatch? I wanted her to be able to raise chicks
smile.png
Then, I had the opportunity to get 8 more local eggs....who could pass up that opportunity!!!! Hubby never really looks in the bator much, but boy was he surprised when he finally did...LOL
lau.gif

So great you have more babies on the way
love.gif
Good luck with your hatch and keep me posted!!!

LOL...the same thing happened with me the last time I hatched. I started out getting 6 eggs for my broody. She is a bantam and I got bantam eggs...but only put 4 under her since it was her first time hatching. Then I decided to get 8 more eggs...because well....what if the eggs she was sitting on didn't hatch? I wanted her to be able to raise chicks
smile.png
Then, I had the opportunity to get 8 more local eggs....who could pass up that opportunity!!!! Hubby never really looks in the bator much, but boy was he surprised when he finally did...LOL
lau.gif

So great you have more babies on the way
love.gif
Good luck with your hatch and keep me posted!!!

He turned the heat on and wanted to make sure he didn't bake the eggs. So at least he pays attention! LOL He doesn't do any of the incubation, But he loves when we have babies. Who doesn't?! He was upset when Faith died too, But it's nature. I always put more in then I need. Did I mention I have another dozen of silkie eggs being shipped Friday? LOL!!!

He turned the heat on and wanted to make sure he didn't bake the eggs. So at least he pays attention! LOL He doesn't do any of the incubation, But he loves when we have babies. Who doesn't?! He was upset when Faith died too, But it's nature. I always put more in then I need. Did I mention I have another dozen of silkie eggs being shipped Friday? LOL!!!
Agreed...who can resist little fuzzy butts
love.gif
My hubby loves having them around too, but doesn't really get into the incubation part....just super excited once they start hatching! So jealous of your silkie eggs! I have nothing,,,sniffle,,,sniffle...going right now
sad.png
Just not home enough at the moment for chicks...sigh! How is your hatch rate with shipped eggs? I haven't had a lot of luck and am trying to get eggs locally or shipped from a close location.

Agreed...who can resist little fuzzy butts
love.gif
My hubby loves having them around too, but doesn't really get into the incubation part....just super excited once they start hatching! So jealous of your silkie eggs! I have nothing,,,sniffle,,,sniffle...going right now
sad.png
Just not home enough at the moment for chicks...sigh! How is your hatch rate with shipped eggs? I haven't had a lot of luck and am trying to get eggs locally or shipped from a close location.
Yeah mine doesn't get into the actual incubation much either. I was surprised he even checked on them haha! My hatch rate for my last batch of shipped silkie eggs wasn't too great. got 8, 3 blood lines, 3 clears, 2 made it into lockdown. one internally piped through a vein in the membrane and bled out (never heard of that happening before) one did hatch. The hatched one,Faith had cross beak and missing her right eye. She died after 7 days.

But with this batch of silkie eggs, much better. Started with 7, 3 clears. 4 still going strong and we are on day 17 officially. I will let you know what happens with this hatch. Where are you located and what are you looking for?

Back
Top Bottom