August Hatch-A-Long

Yeah mine doesn't get into the actual incubation much either. I was surprised he even checked on them haha! My hatch rate for my last batch of shipped silkie eggs wasn't too great. got 8, 3 blood lines, 3 clears, 2 made it into lockdown. one internally piped through a vein in the membrane and bled out (never heard of that happening before) one did hatch. The hatched one,Faith had cross beak and missing her right eye. She died after 7 days.

But with this batch of silkie eggs, much better. Started with 7, 3 clears. 4 still going strong and we are on day 17 officially. I will let you know what happens with this hatch. Where are you located and what are you looking for?
I am in southern calif and am looking for bantam cochin eggs for my girl to hatch
smile.png
I absolutely adore bantam cochins...so sweet and we have them for pets so they are perfect! Tiny eggs are a bonus
smile.png
My last hatch I had one bantam cochin and he turned out to be a roo
roll.png
My friend anted a roo so worked out perfect...for her....LOL!

So glad to hear your eggs are going strong still...lucky still needs some friends!
jumpy.gif

well the babies hatched! I got 2 silkies. 3 leghorn/speckled sussex crosses. andthen hatched our 3 red sexlink/silie crosses, 2 leghorn/silkie crosses fro a neighbor. we are going to exchange on of our leghorns and shes going to give me a sex link cross. here they are: Our silkies: thinking white and porcelain

Leghorn/partridge silkie crosses:

Red sexink/Partridge silkie corsses:

well the babies hatched! I got 2 silkies. 3 leghorn/speckled sussex crosses. andthen hatched our 3 red sexlink/silie crosses, 2 leghorn/silkie crosses fro a neighbor. we are going to exchange on of our leghorns and shes going to give me a sex link cross. here they are: Our silkies: thinking white and porcelain

Leghorn/partridge silkie crosses:

Red sexink/Partridge silkie corsses:

Congrats!!!!
celebrate.gif
jumpy.gif
So glad you had a successful hatch...especially after the last one was so difficult
hugs.gif
Last little baby look so tired leaning on his egg!!!! Will the crosses be standard size or bantam?

Congrats!!!!
celebrate.gif
jumpy.gif
So glad you had a successful hatch...especially after the last one was so difficult
hugs.gif
Last little baby look so tired leaning on his egg!!!! Will the crosses be standard size or bantam?

they came from a standard egg so I am thinking standard? they have characteristics of silkies. 5 toes, beard, crest, feathered feet. one of the redsex link/silkie crosses has 4 toes on one foot and 5 on the other. the have splotches of black on their skin, their beaks are dark, but not as dark as a silkies. I am wondering about their feathers. wonder if they will have silkie feathers of not. And yes I am so happ[y with this hatch. I ordered more silkie eggs. Husband is going to kill me LOL we have 10 babies plus lucky and just ordered 8 more eggs.

they came from a standard egg so I am thinking standard? they have characteristics of silkies. 5 toes, beard, crest, feathered feet. one of the redsex link/silkie crosses has 4 toes on one foot and 5 on the other. the have splotches of black on their skin, their beaks are dark, but not as dark as a silkies. I am wondering about their feathers. wonder if they will have silkie feathers of not. And yes I am so happ[y with this hatch. I ordered more silkie eggs. Husband is going to kill me LOL we have 10 babies plus lucky and just ordered 8 more eggs.
LOL...one foot 4 toes and the other 5 toes
lau.gif
My cochin has silkie in her so she also has 5 toes, black feet and beak.....butt not black skin. Her feathers have the hair-like quality to some of them and the standard feather texture to the others. So they may have a blend of both
idunno.gif
And at least Lucky will have some friends now
smile.png
Plus more on they way for everyone
ya.gif
Will be fun to see how they feather out!

Lucky is 4 weeks now, thinking she may be a he. only time will tell.

5 of the chicks that hatched out are leaving today. the leghorn.sussex are staying. think i might trade for one of the leghorn silkie mixes. I hatched them out for a neighbor. But that still leavesme with 5 chicks. They should be able to join Lucky in 2 weeks, they are too small right now.

Lucky is 4 weeks now, thinking she may be a he. only time will tell.

5 of the chicks that hatched out are leaving today. the leghorn.sussex are staying. think i might trade for one of the leghorn silkie mixes. I hatched them out for a neighbor. But that still leavesme with 5 chicks. They should be able to join Lucky in 2 weeks, they are too small right now.
WOW...its been 4 weeks already!!!!! Boy I bet he will be so happy to have some little friends! He is looking a little "rooish" to me with that comb
hide.gif
, but then again I am not the best judge
idunno.gif
Love his color! Is he laced? Looks like it with the feathers in front with black spots in the middle...again still learning..LOL!

Last edited:
WOW...its been 4 weeks already!!!!! Boy I bet he will be so happy to have some little friends! He is looking a little "rooish" to me with that comb
hide.gif
, but then again I am not the best judge
idunno.gif
Love his color! Is he laced? Looks like it with the feathers in front with black spots in the middle...again still learning..LOL!

I agree with you about beiing a rooster. So he will either become dinner, replace our current rooster (current rooster is a butthead) or go with our silkie flock if we odnt have nay silkie roosters.
He is a speckled sussex/ Redsex link mix so not sure what laced is or if he would be laced. I kow they said the speckled gene wouldn't carry over to him or something, who knows.

I agree with you about beiing a rooster. So he will either become dinner, replace our current rooster (current rooster is a butthead) or go with our silkie flock if we odnt have nay silkie roosters.
He is a speckled sussex/ Redsex link mix so not sure what laced is or if he would be laced. I kow they said the speckled gene wouldn't carry over to him or something, who knows.
LOL..yes, I have not gotten the hang of the whole "chicken genetics" breeding thing! I vote for replacing the butthead rooster..LOL
big_smile.png

LOL I just have to convince my husband. The butthead has been gettign better but I wold not trust him near children, and I have to take a broom out with me when i go outside! I'm sure people driving by think i'm crazy carying a broom in the field LOL We are replacing him in the spring, going to pick up some new speckled sussex chicks and hopefullly atleast 1 will be a rooster. We might make a new mixed flock with lucky and the mixed crew lol

Back
Top Bottom