Breeders vs backyarders vs puppy mills

Quote:
100% agree with you Redhen. I dont have a problem with people breeding for themselves, or even if they KNOW the puppies are going to perfect families or friends. I really think secure homes should exist BEFORE the puppies.

I personally have 2 Boston Terriers I plan to breed, ONCE, before spay and neutering the parents. We plan to keep all puppies for ourselves and spay and neuter the puppies as well. We love the breed, want more, have done all the $$$$ testing, and choose our stock very carefully. After these are all grown up and have passed, only then will we consider another dog, and then it will be from a breed specific rescue.

Thank you for a well put post Redhen.

Well said! I agree, although I do rescue senior dogs. I can't imagine letting my old dog go the shelter route. Unless there is a death or illness, even then family should step up. I've told my children I will haunt them if my dogs aren't cared for by them or found loving homes.

I do think it benefits children to experience birth. Deaths and having to let something go that you have grown attached to. All a part of life. Children today are coddled in my opinion. Let them live and learn! I think all that discouraged Mahonri ought to be ashamed. He is obviously a responsible man.

Quote:

If you want your kids to experience a dog/cat giving birth, contact your local shelter/rescue. They often have foster programs for pregnant dogs/cats. I have done it several times. I was one who discouraged him from breeding and I am NOT in the least bit ashamed. I do think he is a responsible man, obviously, since he decided not to breed the dog.

NO dog should be bred without having proper health tests/certifications done. I don't care if the dog is UKC, AKC registered or not registered at all. Just get the health tests/certifications done. Breeding without that being done is totally irresponsible.

Quote:
That's fine. I stand my mine.
smile.png

Quote:
Quote:
I fail to see how these are conflicting opinions.
First, regarding Mahonri; Why I started these threads was I hated to see someone who it was clear was trying to learn enough to make a responsible, informed decision get caught in the middle of the nasty "people should/shouldn't breed dogs at all" conflict that ALWAYS seems to pop up whenever anyone (wether totally responsible or a one dog puppy mill) brings the subject up. Some people discouraged him because it was clear that this was a step he was at best half-hearted and ill informed about making and they discouraged in ways that hoped to helpfully educate. This is fine.

Others went on an emotional flame fest that I was very unhappy to see and I hoped that starting this thread would keep it here where no, one individual feels bashed and yet everyone can air their feelings on the subject. People who don't see who they're stepping on to jump up and preach are the ones I feel should be ashamed.

Second, both turney31 and SundownWaterfowl are right.
It can be a very educational experience for some children (not all of them and not at every age) but it needs to be done RIGHT. Otherwise you are teaching the children callousness and that a half-$$ed job is fine if you can get away with it. I don't see how teaching children that somethings, to be done properly and especially when there are living things involved (not only the puppies, but the families those puppies go to) can be harder and more complicated then we first think it is and is worthy of being fully thought out and properly done and it is shamefull to be selfish and careless when other lives are at stake.

In my adult years, I've had three dogs that were special to me: Lady - a Heinz 57 spaniel mix pound dog, Bear - the dog love of my life...a pure bred golden retriever who came from what many would consider a backyard breeder, and Diesel - a pure bred great dane from a "reputable" breeder. While my backyard bred Bear was the most special in my heart, none have had more value than the others as pets and wonderful companions. So I put no more value (other than monetary value) on a good purebred than I do a good mutt.
And while it frustrates me that some people just allow their dogs to reproduce haphazardly, irregardless of whether they can support those pups, it equally irritates me when some people think no dog should be bred unless it meets X, Y, and Z criteria for appearance (not referring to health here) and is shown. So I suppose I'm stuck on the fence in the middle...
hmm.png

I've never had the slightest interest in breeding dogs. But had I, and had I found a suitable mate for my dog, and had I a few trusted friends or family members who would've loved to have a puppy from said breeding, then I really don't think it would have been anybody else's business...

do what you want everyone else does and justifies it to what ever reasons necessary and not everyone agrees with them

I disagree with RiverOtter on seeing an animal give birth (and possibly watching the death of babies and/or parent animal) is an even halfway decent reason to breed. It should be the last reason considered when thinking of breeding. I mean, C'MON- you can see animals give birth ONLINE! You DONT have to possibly add to overpopulation to educate a child. Not to mention that adding to the population teaches a BAD example if you dont have the time, resources, or homes for the resulting litter. Hardly teaches responsibility when you end up with 12 mixed breed puppies (or pure) and you have to sell them to questionable homes, or worse, sneak off and dump them somewhere (it happens, like it or not).

Take your kids to a shelter to see baby animals, or maybe the zoo- its alot cheaper. Or as a previous poster said, foster a pregnant animal, dont purposely create lives that will face an uncertain future just to see your kids faces when the babies show up. Its not like the actual birth lasts that long.

Take it from a mom of 8 kids total- IF you can get them out of bed at 3 am for a whelping, they get over the excitement REAL fast and head back to snooze while YOU do all the work and worry.

If you live in a farmlike enviroment, I would assume you might have had other animals reproduce, dogs are pretty much the same- pups come out the birth canal, moma licks em clean and nurses them. Done and done. (egg layers exempted). No need to make more puppies to see the same thing in a different shape.

There are way too many other avenues to pursue in the quest for education besides actually creating MORE lives YOU dont plan to care for forever. Unless you doplan on keeping them all, of course.

I dont believe its necesary for kids to experience first hand birth and death in the animal kingdom on purpose. Life has a funny way of providing all those experiences all by its self, if ya wait long enough. Fido wont live forever, mom might have a baby, neighbors cat has kittens, friends goats have kids, grandparents pass, it goes on and on.

Back
Top Bottom