d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Look at Little Miss Cyn and her broody self.

It's been ages since I've been on here. I sold Rusty 2 and two of the Milli girls as well as the qusil to a young man wanting to show. He's had good luck with the girls. Of course Rusty has the Kentucky fungus on his legs. I still have Cyn, Gus, and my favorite Milli girl.

Look at Little Miss Cyn and her broody self.

It's been ages since I've been on here. I sold Rusty 2 and two of the Milli girls as well as the qusil to a young man wanting to show. He's had good luck with the girls. Of course Rusty has the Kentucky fungus on his legs. I still have Cyn, Gus, and my favorite Milli girl.
Aww, my namesake is pulling her weight, then! They tend to be really good broodies.

You know, I'm worried about Carly. She is super tiny, has always been the head hen her entire five years, but she's been very slow lately. She just is not herself. She has not laid an egg in maybe a year or more, but then, Penny has her beat, probably has not laid in two years. They all seem okay except Carly. Aimee and Mina were laying a few months ago so not worried about those two. Carly is almost Serama size, only about 17 oz, has always been small even for a D'Anver.
I have only the five hens and two roosters. Aubrey is the only original rooster. Ladyhawk had to downsize and sold Rufus, one of my original mille roosters to a breeder friend. And Rufus has turned into her chick-raiser! She's given him 20-something babies and he just takes care of them like a broody hen would! I have a line of broody roosters, haha!

Funny-sad story. The lady went in one day and found him sitting in the middle of the floor, limp. She was horrified, thinking Rufus was dead! She ran, yelling his name and picked him up. He was alive but limp and under him were two dead chicks. Two had died during the night and somehow, he had gotten them under his wings in one location and was grieving the chicks! He sort of chittered at her, very upset, like a limp dishrag. But, he was okay himself, just very sad and upset over the two lost babies. She said she completely lost it right there over him being so distraught about the dead chicks. She adores Rufus.

Last edited:
The first set look like the color quail? (Very bright though...dang, so sorry, I am not good at all of the colors). Quail chicks start out pretty dark.

The second rooster is the color millie fleur. Sadly, those lovely spots are recessive, so unless they are also present in some of the moms, they will not show up. :( I love the spots.

Hello all!
I'm a first time D'Anver owner and I was wondering if there is any tips/tricks to sexing quail D'Anvers. I have heard that if they have lacing on their back they are often female but sometimes the males will have lacing as well. Since I've never had this breed before I am also unsure as to what the comb should look like at what age. Any advice would be much appreciated, my D'Anver is only about 4-5 weeks old right now but I am anxious to know what to look for :) Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom