Dog lovers - post pics of your dogs!

Oops, didn't mean to post the first half
1f62c.png

Anyways, here's Annie

And to all those of you who have multiple large dogs, how do you feed them all without breaking the bank?!
I plan on getting a large dog or two once I get moved to guard the chickens and other livestock, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to save on food costs

Quote:

And to all those of you who have multiple large dogs, how do you feed them all without breaking the bank?!
I plan on getting a large dog or two once I get moved to guard the chickens and other livestock, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to save on food costs

Here are some of my dogs and one of my cats (She's a kitten.). I find it doesn't pay to skimp on food. If you feed a high quality food you usually need less so cost per serving really isn't much more. Dogs on some brands will literally eat twice the amount of food than they will of a brand with less fillers. That said, I comparison shop, use coupons and feed different brands. Often the large pet chains put different brands on sale each week and those are what I buy (Earthborn, Taste of the Wild, Pinnacle, The Honest Kitchen, Merrick), plus I supplement with what I cook. I've found if I shop the large pet supply stores Saturday morning, they have food reps there who hand out coupons for their food. Often I can combine $20.00 worth of coupons with something that is already on sale. Then I stock up.
I won't feed anything with corn, wheat or soy, and mostly I feed grain free.
Buying larger bags is more cost efficient than buying smaller bags (usually).

Oops, didn't mean to post the first half
1f62c.png

Anyways, here's Annie

i buy a 50lb bag of dog food a month. i have 1 large dog and 5 medium sized dogs. i feed them all one cup and the big one 2 cups plus food scraps that are left over. all of them are healthy looking.

@theuglyduckling Thank you!
@dekel18042 Thanks! And your big dog is beautiful!! What breed is he/she?

He's an English Shepherd, the most wonderful farm dog as far as I'm concerned. Two of their nicknames are The Farmer's secret and the farm collie (or shepherd) They can herd, guard, hunt, and other chores and are incredibly smart. It's an American breed bred from the stock the British/Scottish/Welsh settlers brought to America. Genetically they are related to the border collie and aussie. No poultry has ever been taken on his watch. He'll be 15 in two days and on nice days he's still out caring for "his" poultry.

@dekel18042 I thought that's what he might be, I got a dog when I was seven (she died a few years ago) she was an English shepherd, red heeler mix. She was the best dog I have ever had
2764.png

Back
Top Bottom