D'uccle Thread

Thanks We got chickens and Lilcrow.

We will be keeping the hens and definately the silver boy. Might keep one of the blue boys but we are downsizing as things are growing and we need the coop space not to mention trying to move.

We are definatly keeping the lemon splits to work on the lemons.
The Lavender over Mille Fluer was to improve our Lavendar type so they are all split for lavendar. The lavendar roo is one that is no longer with us so it is a different genetic line which is good.

Question in the ABA SOP is Blue Mille Fluer a showable color as I know that Gold Necks are and in North America most Gold necks are Splash Mille Fluer?
Club website says they were admitted in 1996.

I've seen some blue mille fleur in shows, but I think they're AOV.

My SOP (page 299) lists mille fleur, porcelain, white, black, golden neck, mottled, and self-blue as the varities accepted into standard.

Quote:
Doug, you might want to check into this further, but from what I can remember after being corrected on this thread, Golden Necks aren't splash MF. I know they can sometimes look like it, but a true GN comes from the affects of the dominant white gene not double Andalusian genes.

5 days and counting until I can drive down and pick up my D'Uccles from a fellow BYCer! I'm getting a Porcelain pair and 2 Mille Fleur hens. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

Sorry, I'm geeking out over chickens but I'm getting soooo excited! I have everything just about ready for the integration process.
smile.png

I am new to d'uccles or any chickens and just hatched my first d'uccle chicks. Only 4 hatched out of the dozen egg purchased but I had a lot of bad storms during the incubation period which resulted in the electric going out several times but I am very proud of my 4 little chicks. I have two questions I hope someone can help me with.

1) I have been sitting with them one at a time in my lap while I watch TV in the evenings so they will get handled and they will be pets. I pet them but I'm not sure they like it or I might just be petting them wrong. My question is "How do you pet a chicken?" I tried like a dog....on their heads. Like a cat ... on their necks and behind ears. On their chests and stomachs but I don't think they are happy with it. I have noticed that when I clean out their brooder now, they come running to my hands and will sit in my hand for awhile so I think I am going in the right direction. Maybe it just takes time.

2) I have heard that the combs on the roos develop faster than the ones on pullets. Is this true? If it is than I have one roo and the rests are girls!!!

Thank you so much for your help!!!

My chicks don't like to be "petted" so much, they like to sit on me and have my hand resting on them. They especially prefer it if my other hand has some treats haha
yeah the comb was the only indicator I needed with my d'uccles, Ive only had 1 batch of them, but that was my expereince

Quote:
I read (on here somewhere) that when you are working with chickens, especially to tame them, move slowly and remember that most predators come from above them. Keeping that in mind, I started showing them my hands from beneath them first and they warmed up MUCH faster. Now my girls like nothing better than to fly up to my arm and ride around until I make them get down because their fat butts are too heavy! Of course, my older girls are all heavier layers. I can't wait to get my D'Uccles and hope they will be as friendly!

I will say that when they were chicks, we would hold our hands over their heads til they settled down and fell asleep on us while we were watching TV in the evenings.

Just popping in to show you experts how one of my D'Uccles has developed. He was an "extra" thrown in with MFC eggs, from wwmicasa.

Here he is at a week or so:
58565_img_1243.jpg

And here he is today at 16 weeks:
58565_roo2.jpg

Is he a Blue Mille Fleur??? His tail feathers are blue, and he has no black in him at all. Normally he holds his tail feathers straight up, but my big fat wyandotte was closing in on him, lol!

Back
Top Bottom