Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

yeah, we have a big property and our road is a private dirt road... nearby are some hiking trails so I think she took a wrong turn lol I don't think she will be making that mistake again haha

"Socialize" the children. Eye roll. Children are not dogs. When they get into the "real world" they will be interacting with people from all walks of life in all age groups of all social statuses....not 50 people their age that live in their area and are their socio-economic status.

Saying that public schools preparing children for the real world more so than homeschooling is absolutely laughable imo. Homeschooled children learn and flourish around kids of all other ages as well as adults-nott just peers of their own age an status.

getting back on topic..... as this is a useless circle we would be here all day debating and for no reason, it's obvious that even though talking about school sounds fun I'm pretty sure they aren't saying silly things about our chickens

I had a lady walk down our road yesterday afternoon, I was planting some flowers by our stone wall and this is our conversation

her "hello, are those your chickens"
me "why yes they are"
her "oh...... (10 seconds of silence) don't they poop a lot?"
me "well they do poop.... it's good fertilizer"
her "do you use the fertilizer for plants that you eat?"
me "yeah it helps the plants grow once composted"
her as she turns to walk away "that is disgusting I would never be able to eat stuff that had chicken poop in it"
me "uh-huh... have a great day.... you know manure is used in most of the food you eat right?"
she just keeps walking at a brisk pace

END scene

I can't even explain the bewilderment on this person's face... it was pretty amazing lol

Hahaha, oh gosh. You handled yourself well. I would've laughed so hard.

"Socialize" the children. Eye roll. Children are not dogs. When they get into the "real world" they will be interacting with people from all walks of life in all age groups of all social statuses....not 50 people their age that live in their area and are their socio-economic status.

Saying that public schools preparing children for the real world more so than homeschooling is absolutely laughable imo. Homeschooled children learn and flourish around kids of all other ages as well as adults-nott just peers of their own age an status.
Ahem, I am homeschooled, and I say yes ma'am, and yes sir. I can socialize with people with all different age groups. Not bashing Public School or anything, but my cousin a month and a day older than me, he has 1 friend.

Twice in two days, I have been asked for a free dozen eggs. Last week, someone offered to take them off my hands because I "must have so many". This isn't because they can't pay the $2 a dozen, but because they don't want to. Even though I do gift eggs, to assume they are up for grabs for free annoys me. I work hard! And no matter how many I have, there is always some way to use them here. I don't even have to have cash, I trade for seedlings, or, produce, or, well, anything useful to me, really. Just, no freebies.

Also:
Passerby today insisted that my silkie is not! could not! be a chicken, but rather some other type of bird, maybe related to a cockatoo or something. And also, from the same person, shock when I told him that the ducks lay eggs.

On homeschooling, I have kids that are homeschooled, and allowed to be as weird as they wanna be, allowed to learn whatever they're inspired to learn, and aren't rushed in subjects they have trouble with or held back when something comes naturally to them.

A bird that lays eggs!? What is the world coming to!
lau.gif
I sometimes wonder how these people survive as long as they do.

I had my parents over for dinner the other night and my chickens were free ranging outside.

Dad: 'How are you going to get them back?'
Me: 'They come back on their own at 6:30.'
Dad: Looks at me like I have no idea what I'm talking about and walks off.

Later that evening I find my mom outside trying to see into the coop.

Me: 'What are you doing?'
Mom: 'Trying to see the chickens but there's only one.'
Me: Take her round to the other side of the coop so she can see in.
Mom: 'Oh cute, they're all in a row!'

The chickens were sleeping on the roost
gig.gif

I should add, we had chickens when I was a kid. And my dad grew up on a farm. When I think back on the conditions my dad kept them in I don't know how they survived.

Back
Top Bottom