First Egg Countdown

I have another new layer!! So I know the green egg is from my EE, but I have no idea who the "pink" egg is or the brown one. The suspects are: Brahma, Bantam Cochin, another EE (all hatched in June 2012 so they are about 34 weeks) ...I also have two welsummers and and a buff orpington but they are *much* younger than the other girls (hatched August 2012, about 27 weeks).

Anyone have any ideas on who could have laid these? Thanks!

Oh, I think today's the day Saffron turns on.

I read somewhere that it takes 8-10 days for an egg to go from follicle to vent.

Yesterday's day length was 10 hours 17 minutes long. We hit 10 hour days 10 days ago... 10 hours 3 minutes 8 days ago... Which incidentally, 8 days before my last pullet to start in the fall... was a 10 hour and 5 minute day.

Saffron was in the nest this morning at 9 until one of my SLWs pushed her out because it's her favorite nesting site. Saffron was really digging around in there and hunkering down for sitting. And I know she was in and out of the other nests (trying them on for size?) all day yesterday.

And I saw her for the first time throwing straw up over her back after being kicked out of the nest. So... I really think it will be today.

UPDATE:

Just 2 days shy of 37 weeks old... Right at 11:30am. 55g

Last edited:
Oh, I think today's the day Saffron turns on.

I read somewhere that it takes 8-10 days for an egg to go from follicle to vent.

Yesterday's day length was 10 hours 17 minutes long. We hit 10 hour days 10 days ago... 10 hours 3 minutes 8 days ago... Which incidentally, 8 days before my last pullet to start in the fall... was a 10 hour and 5 minute day.

Saffron was in the nest this morning at 9 until one of my SLWs pushed her out because it's her favorite nesting site. Saffron was really digging around in there and hunkering down for sitting. And I know she was in and out of the other nests (trying them on for size?) all day yesterday.

And I saw her for the first time throwing straw up over her back after being kicked out of the nest. So... I really think it will be today.

UPDATE:

Just 2 days shy of 37 weeks old... Right at 11:30am. 55g

Congrats! Pretty hen and egg!

Congrats!! Heehee, you're a chicken psychic.

In similar news, we just found out that the random EE that I snuck into our mid-summer turkey order finally started to lay! Yay Bitty!

I just an egg today for the first time from my flock of 7 chickens (5 of them are old enough to lay eggs)!!!! I think it came from 1 of my 2 buff orphingtons but i'm not sure which one. i really wish i did so that i could give her an extra special treat for laying a beutiful egg. It was completely perfect and quite big for a first egg. i suspect she may have been secretly laying practice eggs somewhere because this one was so big hehehe. i cant wait to get more!

Im so excited!!! They are not my first laid eggs but today I cracked open 2 eggs for breakfast and found my first 2 ever fertile eggs
big_smile.png

My incubator happend to be on and eggs I bought were being set this morning anyhow so I put in 5 of my own eggs also! YAY my first Home Grown babies!

I have another new layer!! So I know the green egg is from my EE, but I have no idea who the "pink" egg is or the brown one. The suspects are: Brahma, Bantam Cochin, another EE (all hatched in June 2012 so they are about 34 weeks) ...I also have two welsummers and and a buff orpington but they are *much* younger than the other girls (hatched August 2012, about 27 weeks).

Anyone have any ideas on who could have laid these? Thanks!

Wow I guess winter is over! Congrats on everyone getting new eggs!

Chickin Pickin, I'm thinking the brown egg is your Welsummer girl. The pink eggs might be from your Brahma.

Back
Top Bottom