How to create the " light " Pied ?

The opinion of Rosa moschata .... would be welcome!

Yes, exactly!

I am under the impression from what I have read that the varying degrees of Pied start with;

Dark Pied, that has from no white feathers to only a few flights or coverts white, and under the chin (latch), being white,
Normal Pied, which has scattered white anywhere on the body to covering up to 60% white.
Loud Pied, having 60 to 80% of the body being covered in white,
Silver Pied which has 80 to 90% or more white on its body.

I don't think that a Silver Pied is required to actually have any silver on the back, but I am unsure on that point.

EDITED to correct %'s

Last edited:
Yes, exactly!

I am under the impression from what I have read that the varying degrees of Pied start with;

Dark Pied, that has from no white feathers to only a few flights or coverts white, and under the chin (latch), being white,
Normal Pied, which has scattered white anywhere on the body to covering up to 80% white.
Loud Pied, having 80 to 90% of the body being covered in white,
Silver Pied which has 90% or more white on its body.

I don't think that a Silver Pied is required to actually have any silver on the back, but I am unsure on that point.
I believe a silver pied needs to have silver feathers otherwise it would be a loud pied and I do not think they need to be 80, to 90% from what i understand...... an IB silver pied needs 2 white eyed genes, white , pied gene and silver feathers on the back of the males and silver feathers on the females

Last edited:
Also i always thought a dark pied was a pied that expressed little white but some folks keep telling me no a dark pied has 2 pied genes and looks like a pied, it really confuses me as i raised paint horses for years and when i had a foal born to paint parents and the foal was solid it was still a paint just called a breeding stock paint or minimal white if it had any white

I believe a silver pied needs to have silver feathers otherwise it would be a loud pied and I do not think they need to be 80, to 90% from what i understand...... an IB silver pied needs 2 white eyed genes, white , pied gene and silver feathers on the back of the males and silver feathers on the females

The reason I said that I didn't think a SP had to have silver on its back is because I bought a trio of Peach Silver Pied from Brad Legg and there is not one silver feather on any of them. They are 90% or more white with some very light color splotches. They do have some dark 'eyebrow' feathers above their eyes.

When i google peach silver pied his photos are the only ones i find , i wonder how the term silver came to be in the naming of a color when there is no silver??

When i google peach silver pied his photos are the only ones i find , i wonder how the term silver came to be in the naming of a color when there is no silver??

I don't know.
idunno.gif
Lets ask @AugeredIn . Phil knows stuff.

I found this on Brads website about the silver pied

Like all pied breeding, there is varying amounts of white on the birds. Generally speaking the birds are 80% to 90% white with the other percentage being color. The mantel or top of the shoulders appear silver as the peacocks mature. The peahens are the same pattern as the males except the color on the body are silver and white. When these birds are hatched they appear white with usually a dot or two of color on the back of the head and neck area; some times a small patch of color on the back or wings. There are variances in the pattern on the chicks as well.

http://www.leggspeafowl.com/silverpied.htm

Thanks Zaz! Now I remember reading that some time back, but of course with CRS I didn't retain it very well.

So perhaps my yearlings will still have silver on them? I wouldn't think that very likely.
Like i said his were the only peach silver pieds i could find and i saw no silver...

of course you know what a black shouldered silver pied looks like it has the silver back feathers and is so beautiful , i guess the muted colors can not have silver feathers so you rely on genetics to really describe the birds when silver is not visible , sure does confuse one though when you are trying to figure out how the word silver got in there LOL

Back
Top Bottom