I have to talk POLISH!

These are my two Polish crosses and neither one seem to have any top hat. The lighter one may have a beard. Moms are full white polish with big top hats, dad full Welsummer. I didn't expect gray (or blue).
I'll bet they will both have a bit of a top hat. At 3 weeks I could tell that some of my crosses were getting the top hat. It took another few weeks for them all to show they were getting small ones. Of 10 1/2 Polish chicks, all 10 have at least a bit of a crest and one has a small beard.

Here's another angle, I think you're right...might be too early
To tell just yet.

I'll bet they will both have a bit of a top hat. At 3 weeks I could tell that some of my crosses were getting the top hat. It took another few weeks for them all to show they were getting small ones. Of 10 1/2 Polish chicks, all 10 have at least a bit of a crest and one has a small beard.
me too some times with crosses it takes a bit before you see a crest

these were some polish cochin cross i hatched out under my broody OEGB

Last edited:
i got mine from ideal too i ordered 3 of every color they had at that time except the white crested ones... if they are going to be white crested i would think that they would already have white on them because the other white crested verities do. I don't know what you get when you order from a hatchery if they are sibs or not but these 3 were all male and the wrong color. there top knots were all different.
i ordered black crested whites and got theses white crested blues they don't always send you what your order
I read on a forum that the white crested reds don't get the white crest right away, that it takes more time to grow in. I wonder if the mechanism for restricting red works different from the mechanism for restricting the black pigment.
I was pleased with the knob size on a hatchery bird... and for a non-standard color!

Back
Top Bottom