Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Hey is there a way to clip female muscovy wings so they can't fly at all?
Yes, but there is controversy about it. Generally it is performed at less than a week old and the last joint is clipped rendering them permanently flightless. It is called 'pinioning'. Some see it as cruel and others see it as a necessary evil in order to keep your birds from flying off.

I am not sure how you would perform it on an adult bird and I am guessing that a veterinarian would have to perform it, if they even would.

There is a lot of information about it on the internet and even videos on youtube of breeders showing how it is done on whatever bird species that they breed.

At this time, I just cut the flight feathers on my new birds. I also did it to my chickens and guineas when I moved so they would stay put until they realized that they were home and wouldn't try escaping.

Just a warning though, I have a black Muscovy hen that simply climbs the fence with her feet and beak. She never goes far but if she wants out, she gets out. We have watched this very clever girl do it.

I drove the three hours, both ways, and brought home two solid Lavender hens. I am very happy except that one immediately escaped. Thanks to my son and his skinned knee, he brought the convict back where she immediately had her wings clipped.

She seems a little more mellow today. That was the craziest Muscovy I have ever dealt with and I have the wounds to prove it. Lol!!!!

I will have pictures soon.
I think everyone who has dealt with 'Scovies has one of those stories. lol.

Back
Top Bottom