Need Info On Pup/Dog Vaccines...

Quote:
smack.gif
No, no, no! You're just wasting your money b/c they don't store them right and half the time they're inactivated anyways. If you knew how many parvo dogs I see with owners going "but I gave them a 7-in-1 from the feedstore" you wouldn't even think it...

Every breeder I know including me does there own. The feed stores here stores them right as do I with my supply I keep.

I have never had any issues an dont know anyone who has.

Quote:
Lucky you!! We are LOADED with it here..loaded.
Actually, the disease name comes from Lyme, CT..which isnt far from me at all.. so there ya go..
hmm.png

We also have no fleas or cockroaches. Well there are some roaches, but not many. Only in really filthy places. We make up for it in rattlesnakes and coyotes. And an occsional mountain lion.

hmmm there's a choice - flea and roaches or things that will eat you.......decisions, decisions!

Quote:
smack.gif
No, no, no! You're just wasting your money b/c they don't store them right and half the time they're inactivated anyways. If you knew how many parvo dogs I see with owners going "but I gave them a 7-in-1 from the feedstore" you wouldn't even think it...

Every breeder I know including me does there own. The feed stores here stores them right as do I with my supply I keep.

I have never had any issues an dont know anyone who has.

The problem with this is that some people don't realize you still have to do the series. They buy the vacc at tsc or southern states or some such place and they do one shot. NO you still have to do the series. I have vaccinated all my dogs and cats this way. I have never had a problem.

Let me correct that. I used to not worry about vaccines. Until about 10 years ago I had a dog get loose, taken to the pound and came back passing kennel cough to our adult dogs and parvo to our puppy. Since then I have done our vaccines yearly for the adults and the series for the babies. The vet does rabies. ONLY because, even though I have a vial of rabies vaccine in my fridge, no state authority will recognize me giving it.

I also do all my own horse vaccines.

Oh and to the original question -
rabies at one year then to the 3 year vaccine after that.

Parvo/distemper yearly.

Kennel cough only if you are boarding...oh and THAT vaccine can be given intra-nasal when you board. It DOES NOT need to be given yearly unless you are routinely boarding or traveling around other dogs.

When my rotti traveled with me we also did giardia. Some vaccines are regional.

I Don't buy into Lyme disease shots or "regular" worming. Worm if you have a problem. Otherwise you build up resistance. It's like over using antibiotics.

Heartworms......well, I have had them on preventative and I've not. I had a dog diagnosed with it....that was 7 years ago+ I don't think she had it. i think it was a bad test. Told the vet so. He said the test was correct. I chose not to treat her. Why? She showed no symptoms, NONE. And here it is 7+ years later - still no signs.

Vets, like regular doctors, make mistakes. Do what you think is right.

Ive used vaccines from both TSC and CO-OP's as well as ordering them from catalogs, mostly KV Vet Supply, and have never had a problem with them. I normally do the DHLPP for the dogs and the usual stuff for the cats. TSC used to carry cat vaccines with the FELUEK in it also, but they dont anymore. I will have to order it and its a ten dose vial, however, I have almost ten cats so this will be worth it, I think. For the rabies, I only get that for a few of the outdoor cats and dogs but the indoor ones dont get it.

Rammy

People failing to do the shots right happens all the time but thats far from them being bad shots.
Wouldn't be an issue anyway if vets didn't charge $50+ to give a pup a $5 shot...
I don't like worming anything that is not showing signs. I think it poisons your property... I want my poop eating bugs to live an multiply...

Kennel cough is only effective for short term. The nasal type anyway, I don't even know if they have a shot for that.

My vet told me it's best to give it to them before boarding them, but that it wears off in a few weeks.

If you wanted to get really involved with shots and vaccines, research nosodes and stuff like that. Generally vaccines don't need to be given annually (except where required by law, and even then the first few shots usually take care of it for the rest of their life), they just are to bring in revenue.

I've heard talk that the first few are fine and dandy, but any other "booster" shots after that are basically killed off by the first shot, so it's kind of pointless to give multiples.

But I'm not an expert, so do your own research.
smile.png

Quote:
You can get most of these vaccinations at Tractor Supply for a couple of dollars. And I'm talking kennel cough, 5(?) way, 8(?) way, stuff like that.

Also, your worming theory is similar to "refugia" when talking about goats and keeping the worms at a manageable level. As in, still killable by the major dewormers.
I guess the "superworms" (essentially dewormer resistant worms) breed with the ones that haven't got much tolerance for the dewormers, and then the resistance level is brought down some in the overall population.

I don't worm any of my animals unless they show actual signs of needing it. Too much dewormer will make to worms immune to it eventually, as is the case in much of the goat world at this point. Why create the same problem in dogs?

If you vaccinate with the 7 in 1, you are vaccinating for a lot of unnecessary diseases. I chose to buy my pup's vaccines separately one vaccine for just parvo, one just for distemper. And she got the parvo and then the distemper 2 weeks later. I did them myself because my vet only does the 5 in 1 and 7 in 1. I personally believe that is just too much for an immune system. The reason why we do the series is because we don't know when the mother's immunity wears off each individual puppy and the vaccines don't work unless the immunity is gone. So they do them every month just in case it happens early in some puppies and later in others. I do recommend vaccinating against kennel cough if you are boarding your dog or when going in for a spay or neuter. I had both my dogs come down with kennel cough when at the humane society to get fixed and I felt terrible for them. So now it's protocol for me when a dog goes in for surgery.

Only shots my adult dogs ever get is the 3rd Rabies.
If you kennel your dog or go to dog parks, other places where lots of dogs are/have been, you will need other Vacs.
Kennel cough can easily and cheaply be fixed using Robitussin DM. Since it's like a common cold in people. The coughing is the main issue, dogs get over it in 1-2 weeks. Unless the dog has been sick or very young, kennel cough is not a need to go to the vet.
I used to have several websites saved, idk where they are.
Google "necessary dog vaccines".
http://www.organic-pet-digest.com/dog-vaccination-schedule.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom