November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

I will be setting 4 eggs tomorrow in my homemade incubator just as a test. Temperature & humidity had been stable for a few days now so...gonna give it a go. Eggs are from this pair, part of a project to inject some fresh blood into my SF pen, as hatchability with my SF pair had been abysmal. 100% fertility but nothing made it to hatching last time 0/6 :-( If nothing else it'll be a fun side project.
It will be fun to see how they do! What did you make your incubator out of?

Just a Styrofoam cooler. I had an extra thermostat lying around and a couple thermometers so I thought what the heck. :) It's just a still air but so far so good. I added some sealed jars of water to help keep the temp stable. 

Cool! I think is is super fun to build incubators! I add cheap computer fans to mine and just wire it to a cell phone charger for power.

I'm joining in. I must be crazy living here in Maine and hatching in November.. I have 8 pretty blue eggs in my incubator that I got in a swap. They are due to hatch 11/14.

I'm joining in. I must be crazy living here in Maine and hatching in November.. I have 8 pretty blue eggs in my incubator that I got in a swap. They are due to hatch 11/14.
We are all a bit hatch-obsessed, joining the November thread. You might end up with house hens this winter.
gig.gif

Well, I knew I was lucky hatching 7 out of 7 fertile shipped eggs for my October hatch.

The November hatch is not looking quite as good. Eight eggs in the incubator, and nearly every egg has a wobbly air cell. I have two blood rings on Day 7. On the bright side, three eggs have veins and movement! Hoping for a few pretty Wyandottes.
fl.gif

Is anyone else candling right now?

Yay! Now I get to see how they do. :) I have 15 in the incubator and only 1 looks to be infertile. Out of the first five I incubated, only 1 was infertile too. So, hopefully you have good odds.

Back
Top Bottom