November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
So exciting!  You keep your chicks in the house? I am sure they thrive with the attention. How long do you keep them with you?

Mine are in the house in a big brooder too idk how long they need to stay in...???? Any input would be helpful we r in the upstate NY and it gets chilly.... I'm nervous to put them outside

I have a nursery hutch I put them out in. Probably around 4 weeks..but I do use a heat lamp.

Ok, so, I have some NN eggs that should be here tomorrow..and, I'll be getting some silkie eggs from Raven probably on Thursday or Fri. Oh man. I wasn't going to do this .. this winter. I didn't last yr. but, I am wanting these breeds to be big enough to be out and about in the spring! And laying!

Wow my batch is due on the 18th ish so I think that makes today day 4? Anyway I got impatient and candled a few of the light colored ones... I am so excited I see little veines starting to form!! YEAH!! For my first time I think they look good.

I'm in!! I set 28 eggs on either Friday or Saturday, I can't remember which day. Some of my chickens had been exiled to someone else's house while I figured out my zoning troubles. There was a frizzled EE roo that was free ranging with all the girls. I brought home my frilkie, my splash silkie and 3 EE's. I collected their eggs and we'll see if they are fertile. I also had a pure white rooster hanging out with all my laying hens, I grabbed a few eggs from those girls to fill the rest of the tray. Let's hope something hatches!

I'm in!! I set 28 eggs on either Friday or Saturday, I can't remember which day. Some of my chickens had been exiled to someone else's house while I figured out my zoning troubles. There was a frizzled EE roo that was free ranging with all the girls. I brought home my frilkie, my splash silkie and 3 EE's. I collected their eggs and we'll see if they are fertile. I also had a pure white rooster hanging out with all my laying hens, I grabbed a few eggs from those girls to fill the rest of the tray. Let's hope something hatches!

Hi Jeesi! Wow, you will have a fun little mix going on. I'm waiting on an EE boy out there to start acting like a rooster. Will be fun to collect some eggs from him and the girls before I have to get rid of him. Not supposed to have roosters, but sometimes, if they aren't too loud..and don't crow too often then I keep them for a while for them to give me some fertile eggs. :)

So exciting!  You keep your chicks in the house? I am sure they thrive with the attention. How long do you keep them with you?

I do keep them inside till they are feathered out. They'll stay In incubator till fully poofy! Then they'll have a semi permanent residence in my bathroom (in the shower) in a 20gallon Tupperware with cedar chips as bedding and a light.
As they get older, and stinkier!, I'll move the container to the kitchen, but first i need to make sure the chicks have substantial feathering. Kitchen Has better fresh air circulation and lower temperatures. This move comes at about 6-8 weeks. Or sooner!

Now the hard part is getting them into the outdoor coop without worrying to much!!!! I do have a light on a timer in the one coop that I use. But still so hard to not stress over the babies!

How are the two eggs developing for you? No more stinkies I hope!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom