November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
I do keep them inside till they are feathered out. They'll stay In incubator till fully poofy! Then they'll have a semi permanent residence in my bathroom (in the shower) in a 20gallon Tupperware with cedar chips as bedding and a light.
As they get older, and stinkier!, I'll move the container to the kitchen, but first i need to make sure the chicks have substantial feathering. Kitchen Has better fresh air circulation and lower temperatures. This move comes at about 6-8 weeks. Or sooner!

Now the hard part is getting them into the outdoor coop without worrying to much!!!! I do have a light on a timer in the one coop that I use. But still so hard to not stress over the babies!

How are the two eggs developing for you? No more stinkies I hope!

Thank you for the input I'm restarting in NY my old flock is in WI at my mother's farm (what's left that wasn't fox food) so it's not the same set up I had there... Nervous about ever letting them outside lol but they can't stay in the kitchen brooder forever.... Well he tells me haha! I have 17 going into lockdown this weekend shipped eggs so I'm going to stop turning a little early that worked well last hatch. I have Marans and leghorns due in about 2 more weeks and I'm picking up my last batch orps (these are replacements from a badly scrambled batch 1 is still trying ugh poor thing if it hatches it will be called Miracle) and AM's (I swear last ones) this morning to set tomorrow.. Thanks for the input.

Thank you for the input I'm restarting in NY my old flock is in WI at my mother's farm (what's left that wasn't fox food) so it's not the same set up I had there... Nervous about ever letting them outside lol but they can't stay in the kitchen brooder forever.... Well he tells me haha! I have 17 going into lockdown this weekend shipped eggs so I'm going to stop turning a little early that worked well last hatch. I have Marans and leghorns due in about 2 more weeks and I'm picking up my last batch orps (these are replacements from a badly scrambled batch 1 is still trying ugh poor thing if it hatches it will be called Miracle) and AM's (I swear last ones) this morning to set tomorrow.. Thanks for the input.

Good luck with your shipped eggs! Neat idea about locking down earlier. I'll remember to do that if I ever do.
Darn fox, they sure are tricky. Had many birds go. Taken many hours tracking the forest floor for drips of blood and feather to look for their den with no luck!
Do you hatch to sell eggs? Or sell chicks?

I have a nursery hutch I put them out in.  Probably around 4 weeks..but I do use a heat lamp.

Ok, so, I have some NN eggs that should be here tomorrow..and, I'll be getting some silkie eggs from Raven probably on Thursday or Fri.   Oh man.   I wasn't going to do this .. this winter.  I didn't last yr.  but, I am wanting these breeds to be big enough to be out and about in the spring!  And laying!

Oh... NNs and silkies, who can resist??

I'm in!!  I set 28 eggs on either Friday or Saturday, I can't remember which day.  Some of my chickens had been exiled to someone else's house while I figured out my zoning troubles.  There was a frizzled EE roo that was free ranging with all the girls. I brought home my frilkie, my splash silkie and 3 EE's.  I collected their eggs and we'll see if they are fertile.  I also had a pure white rooster hanging out with all my laying hens, I grabbed a few eggs from those girls to fill the rest of the tray.  Let's hope something hatches!

I bet something will hatch!! :D

(Arrow is pointing at shot glass of water with penny from before 1982. I let shot glass go empty then refill it. till lock down.)

I have 14 store eggs in my incubator 13 going great, 1 looks developing, due on the 16th, 18th, 20th.

the other 5 are under a hen. they are too dark yet to tell.

Last edited:
Not the best pictures, but here are a couple of my day 7 pictures. Do the air cells look the right size?

Back
Top Bottom