November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
My hatched chicks are mixed. The eggs were green or blue so momma was cream legbar or ameraucana or Easter egger. Whose the daddy is a bit more of a question as the current rooster lineup includes the main guy Bruce a cream legbar. My #2 rooster HB who is a beautiful ameraucana. But we have some spareas who have been contributing to the mix on the sly. They include a glw, a Welsummer, a couple of Easter eggers . Lol this late it is a real mix. we also have a separate pen with an Ayam cemani rooster and his ladies.

Blue Batch has been discontinued. Of 14, only two seemed to develop past a couple days and those didn't show anything really before giving me the blood ring of death. 13/14 days in there should be something more going on than just bright yellow light shining through and a faint tinge of yolk. I didn't take pics but they were the classic quitter/infertiles that you see posted. Two managed to get to where the egg was a little dark inside but again, nowhere near what it should be at two weeks in.

Purple Batch is hard to see anything but they're early so there's still hope. Green Batch is coming along beautifully. Veins are showing in the ones that I can actually see into. I've learned a lot in the last few weeks and I think it's helping. Hopefully I'll get at least a few chicks. 18 eggs between these two batches.

I'm loving all of the peeps you guys are posting. It makes the wait a little easier!

From the pic it kind of looks homemade, like they took foam and used a little template to draw and cut holes. Brilliant system, homemade or not!

I agree, and would like to have the template.
big_smile.png

I agree, and would like to have the template. :D

It would probably be easy enough with something like an egg carton. Take the frame, cut off the pockets the eggs sit in about a third of the way from the bottom so that you've got a dozen same-sized holes evenly spaced. Then set it on your foam, draw the circles using the carton template, and cut. Might take some tweaking but that's where I'd start.

Hey Luv, I also use the collar, until they start crowing...often. Have a neighbor right behind us..says they don't hear the rooster...but once in a while...ha, they are so nice..their bedroom window is right there by the back of our fence. Pretty close.

Alrighty then...my eggs came.

This is how the box looked last time, and, the very same corner egg had been broken. Only got goo on a couple of eggs..which I cleaned a bit. They got blood rings of course. This time, she sent 6 more eggs than last time..I didn't ask for them, but hey, glad she did. The eggs in the last photo are ones that had goo on them this time. It went way over. I even rinsed some under the faucet. Some I just wiped with a wet towel. We shall see. :/ There were 4 others broken this time. When I sent the photos to her, she asked if she could show the P.O. the photos. Of course. Hope she had ins. Priority box. She is letting her kids collect the eggs from their farm, and saving money for college. Got the cutest thank you note in the box, saying in orange crayon lettering..thank you for buying our eggs. Made me smile. I am hoping that by some miracle that the ones rinsed will be ok. and.. that the air cells aren't bad. Last time, there was only one floating air cell! I am letting them sit the whole night. I usually set them after 12 hrs. And, the last time, I had 6 eggs go into lock down with beautiful beautiful air cells. No saddles at all. How did that happen, when the box looked like this one, and, there was an egg broken in the same place, and goo on other eggs. We never know. Crossing fingers.

I have another box that should show up tomorrow. Silkies. I will set these NN eggs in the morning, and the silkies at night. I can then keep them in one bator. Let's hope that the silkies eggs are ok!

Alrighty then...my eggs came.

This is how the box looked last time, and, the very same corner egg had been broken.  Only got goo on a couple of eggs..which I cleaned a bit.  They got blood rings of course.  This time, she sent 6 more eggs than last time..I didn't ask for them, but hey, glad she did.  The eggs in the last photo are ones that had goo on them this time.  It went way over.  I even rinsed some under the faucet.  Some I just wiped with a wet towel.  We shall see.  :/   There were 4 others broken this time.   When I sent the photos to her, she asked if she could show the P.O. the photos.  Of course.  Hope she had ins.  Priority box.    She is letting her kids collect the eggs from their farm, and saving money for college.    Got the cutest thank you note in the box, saying in orange crayon lettering..thank you for buying our eggs.   Made me smile.  I am hoping that by some miracle that the ones rinsed will be ok.   and.. that the air cells aren't bad.  Last time, there was only one floating air cell!   I am letting them sit the whole night.  I usually set them after 12 hrs.   And, the last time, I had 6 eggs go into lock down with beautiful beautiful air cells.  No saddles at all.  How did that happen, when the box looked like this one, and, there was an egg broken in the same place, and goo on other eggs.   We never know.   Crossing fingers.  

I have another box that should show up tomorrow.  Silkies.  I will set these NN eggs in the morning, and the silkies at night.  I can then keep them in one bator.  Let's hope that the silkies eggs are ok!

Oh no. I'd be heartbroken and would probably give the PO a hard time. We've been lucky with our shipped eggs that the senders used tons of bubble wrap. It helped with any rough handling they encountered, though I suspect a rough trip might have contributed to Blue Batch's failure.

Where are you getting your eggs from? Sounds like a nice family. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom