November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
when do i start rotating eggs i read not to move them at first but it did not really say when to start moving them around.  Also I pulled out a plug to drop the moisture some. 

I ran mine at 101.5 and 4 of 5 got to the hatching stage. I didn't have my humidity high enough so I had to help two after two got stuck and die. I didn't add water at all until lockdown. Started turning after the first day. I did it 2-3 times a day at random times. This time my temp is 99.5 and I put in a fan. Again, 2-3 times turning random times. No water until lockdown. I filled all the waterwells and put in some warm wet clothes. My humidity is a bit high but I think it'll go down before they pip. My tip is to trust your gut and don't stress.

I do not have another thermometer and no egg turner all by hand.  They are not my eggs but i did drive 2 hours to pick the up from a gental mens home so shipping was on my and i was very careful not to let them move at all lol.   but i have read up some this morning and people are saying they are running these at 103 or so and getting a great hatch of like 27 out of 31.  It is also a still air no fan yet i plan on every month getting an addition for it the fan or the turner and one day a second one.  IF ALL WORKS WELL

I would def get another thermometer they aren't super expensive and worth it w/o the fan kit you can get hot spots. Anything over 103 can kill them.

when do i start rotating eggs i read not to move them at first but it did not really say when to start moving them around.  Also I pulled out a plug to drop the moisture some. 

Unless the air cells look unstable from shipping (local pick up should be fine) you can start turning right away 3-5 times a day I do 5 the first 10 days then 3 until setting to hatch. If you have to open the incubator often it is better to run it warmer

I bought an incubator yesterday a little giants 9300 style. I read that you should put the large end up so i stood them all up small side down. I sat 5 1/2 dozen in last night at 7 o'clock here is to hoping for a good hatch. This is my first incubation ever and I am not sure what I am doing i put the temp at 99.5 and added a little water the humility is around 65 the eggs are touching but they do that under the hen to so i am not worried about that it is more less the turning thing i am worried about. I am really interested in some expert advice.
I also have an LG 9300. I had many successful hatches from it. I never replaced the fan. You definitely want at least 1 additional thermometer/hygrometer. The one that came with the incubator for temp was horrible, and mine didn't have anything to measure the humidity. I kept the vent holes open the entire time. I also had to use sponges at lock down to keep the humidity high enough (but I live in a very dry climate).Like Mylied said, Don't run it at 103, you run it at 100.5 to 101.5.

When I candled the eggs, I would rotate the eggs that were along the edges and move them to the center, and move the center eggs to the outside. There are warmer spots in the incubator and by rotating the eggs, you give each of the eggs a chance to be in a warmer area/or a cooler area.

I ran mine at 101.5 and 4 of 5 got to the hatching stage. I didn't have my humidity high enough so I had to help two after two got stuck and die. I didn't add water at all until lockdown. Started turning after the first day. I did it 2-3 times a day at random times. This time my temp is 99.5 and I put in a fan. Again, 2-3 times turning random times. No water until lockdown. I filled all the waterwells and put in some warm wet clothes. My humidity is a bit high but I think it'll go down before they pip. My tip is to trust your gut and don't stress.
Like you, I didn't add any water until lock down. I have an auto turner, which I plugged in after 24 hours. If I had to hand turn, I would have done it the same way - 2 to 3 times per day. I would still have rotated the eggs each time I candled.

I am so excited. My Trader Joes egg's are doing amazing and are due to hatch on friday. I can't wait to see the lil fluffie's.

Back
Top Bottom