November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
What kind of quail?
24 eggs are from Jumbo Coturnix cages, but the remaining 6 came from other cages to make it an even 30. The breeder had Bobwhites, California,Tibet, A&M, button, tuxedo, snowflake, etc. so they could be anything. I have no idea about the store eggs. I doubt we'll keep quail, but if we do, the Coturnix seemed like the best breed for us. (From reading. We really have zero experience with quail.)

The chickens are what we know. Giant Orpingtons to be exact. I made sure DD used the purebred eggs because that helps them be rehomed quickly.
Here's one of our leggy lavs that DD hatched in June. (for another sci project, of course) He's about the opposite of a quail and still has a lot of filling out to do.

He's still a cock. He's about as tall as he's going to get but needs to develop that nice round English Orp shape. It takes almost a year for them to reach their full weight =12-14 lbs. The hens take 6-9 months (depending on season) to lay their 1st egg. All are extremely calm, docile with sweet temperaments - but not economical on feed.

24 eggs are from Jumbo Coturnix cages, but the remaining 6 came from other cages to make it an even 30. The breeder had Bobwhites, California,Tibet, A&M, button, tuxedo, snowflake, etc. so they could be anything. I have no idea about the store eggs. I doubt we'll keep quail, but if we do, the Coturnix seemed like the best breed for us. (From reading. We really have zero experience with quail.)

The chickens are what we know. Giant Orpingtons to be exact. I made sure DD used the purebred eggs because that helps them be rehomed quickly.
Here's one of our leggy lavs that DD hatched in June. (for another sci project, of course) He's about the opposite of a quail and still has a lot of filling out to do.

Wow! Great picture. Pretty girl, handsome rooster:)

Quote:
Yes. I live in GA, so haven't been able to get mine lower than 48-50% during the first 18 days and my air cells grow fine. On that note though, there is condensation on my lid and the humidity says 88% for lockdown. Should I try to get some water out or will they be fine since the air cells are big? I had too low of humidity last time at hatch and now I'm worried it's too much.

Quote: I have been staying away from the news lately, and just notice this morning that there are SO MANY FIRES in GA. Are you anywhere near them? My thoughts go out to everyone that is suffering - even if you aren't near the fires, the air quality goes WAY down. Stay safe!

I have been staying away from the news lately, and just notice this morning that there are SO MANY FIRES in GA.  Are you anywhere near them?  My thoughts go out to everyone that is suffering - even if you aren't near the fires, the air quality goes WAY down.  Stay safe!

Funny you should say that. There haven't been fires near me but there is one in town today. It hasn't rained in two months or so. It's supposed to rain tomorrow. We shall see.

Back
Top Bottom