November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
Some are pipped but I'm nervous because my humidity won't go down. I took water out, I wiped the condensation, the plugs are open. I'm afraid to open it with pipped eggs to get more water oit.

Some are pipped but I'm nervous because my humidity won't go down. I took water out, I wiped the condensation, the plugs are open. I'm afraid to open it with pipped eggs to get more water oit.
I always try to get the humidity up as high as it will go - about 65-70%- during the last couple days. If the membranes dry out, the chick can get shrink wrapped inside the egg. Keep the plugs open for air of course, but don't worry about high humidity.

edit: BTW - CONGRATS on the pips! It won't be long now!

Last edited:
I always try to get the humidity up as high as it will go - about 65-70%- during the last couple days.  If the membranes dry out, the chick can get shrink wrapped inside the egg.  Keep the plugs open for air of course, but don't worry about high humidity.

Mine has been super high this hatch around 80% it goes up even more when they hatch too

Ok I'm in...
I started 26 eggs last Friday and so they should hatch on the day after Thanksgiving (25th). Two separate ebay auctions: one for 8 BCM eggs and one for 15 BCM. I also put in two bantam eggs from our cochin/frizzle mix to see if we can get more frizzles. I just put a cochin rooster with the hens so this will test if the eggs are fertile. The final egg was just thrown in to see what we get when we cross our buff polish rooster with a speckled sussex.
This is my second attempt at incubating eggs. My first attempt was with the no-name 56 egg incubator from China and it died on day 21 and I lost all but one chicken... Its a horrible design and don't recommend buying one. So its try #2 with over $100 of eggs in a new incubator for the first time. Good luck all!

I have 8 BCM in now due next week I hate I can't see in them grrrr lol it makes my crazy go crazy!!! Good luck!!! I'm keeping my humidity (dry hatch) on those as I have read they don't lose as much moisture

I have 8 BCM in now due next week I hate I can't see in them grrrr lol it makes my crazy go crazy!!! Good luck!!! I'm keeping my humidity (dry hatch) on those as I have read they don't lose as much moisture
A year or two ago, someone recommended using this for candling:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrafire-2...114648?hash=item2ca5da6618:g:zNUAAOSw1S9WcWS4

I used to use the common 9LED pocket flashlight, but had issues seeing through the very thick shelled brown eggs. The above light was cheap enough to try & now I really like being able to easily see through all my brown eggs. (detailed veins, not just the air cell shadows.) Although I do not hatch Marans, I wonder if a strong 5000 lumen flashlight may do the trick. I can certainly understand the frustration of not being able to see..

I always try to get the humidity up as high as it will go - about 65-70%- during the last couple days.  If the membranes dry out, the chick can get shrink wrapped inside the egg.  Keep the plugs open for air of course, but don't worry about high humidity.

edit: BTW - CONGRATS on the pips!  It won't be long now!

Yeah I had them dry out last time. My humidity is in the 80s now and someone said they might drown. But they had big air cells at lockdown. I think one pipped close to the pointy end. We'll see. Maybe I'm not cut out for hatching.

Yeah I had them dry out last time. My humidity is in the 80s now and someone said they might drown. But they had big air cells at lockdown. I think one pipped close to the pointy end. We'll see. Maybe I'm not cut out for hatching.

I like it higher in case I have a member of the 80's Motley Crew in there which is often so they don't kill anyone it's my OCD's but one died that way last hatch rolled and laid/or danced on....

Thank you my batch due today have already started popping I'm up to 6 in the brooder YEAH!!!! Bunch more pipped waiting on the silkie mixes my daughter had to have...

Back
Top Bottom