November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics

It's day 22 and 2/5 have hatched, including one of the ones with a saddle shaped air cell which hatched upside down. I'm hoping the others hatch soon.

How often should you candle ?? My husband is supper excited about the eggs I swear he wants to do it all the time

How often should you candle ?? My husband is supper excited about the eggs I swear he wants to do it all the time

Most wait until day 7 to candle, then to day 10 for questionables. I am one to break the.. general..rules..I candle at day 5, just a couple to see if I can see any development. Then do the 7 and 10 day.

This is so helpful, and just what I needed to hear. I am looking at the one egg with the bit of shell knocked out in the middle, and I can see that little beak moving... but there is no progress after hours of watching (little stinker!) and I am so anxious. It is really nice to know that it will probably be ok without any meddling.

So... this is end of Day 20. Should the saddle-cell egg get some help? Or should I not touch the incubator, since the other egg has pipped?

How are things going? Having said that most hatch after a pip, a good thing to remember is, when did you find it pipped. They usually will hatch within 24 hrs. I wouldn't let it go longer than 26 hrs .. then I assist. As long as you see that little beak moving, it's good. Don't want to wait until it has stopped...did they hatch yet?
jumpy.gif

How is the saddle shaped one?

It's day 22 and 2/5 have hatched, including one of the ones with a saddle shaped air cell which hatched upside down. I'm hoping the others hatch soon.

See? There is hope for the saddle air cells..and ones that pip at the wrong end. The reason this one with the saddle shape air cell pipped at the wrong end..which you probably already know is because it couldn't move around in there! Those big ol air cells take up so much room! Happy for you, and I love photos of new babies..can't wait for mine. Still have a couple of weeks.

You never know, so if I think there is life, I leave it in the incubator. I had one with a totally rolling air cell almost all the way down one side to the pointed end. It pipped near the point and hatched all on it's own. I've had another pip in the exact center of the fat end, then make an oval zip down and around one side. Very strange, but it worked! LOL

When the chick's create the internal pip, does it make like a scratching sound or like tapping? Also does the internal pip make the humidity go up?

Yes they starting tapping after the internal pip if I don't hear peeping on a late hatcher I will tap and usually they tap back. I don't notice my humidity going up until external pip and then shooting up when they unzip

Back
Top Bottom