November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics

That's a good sized baby for that egg too! Great job I had some big babies this time too and w/ shipped eggs and bad air cells it's more nurture if necessary
1f423.png
1f600.png

Good news on the slow zipping chick!
Don't count it out tho I had one that must of done the same thing over night and it was a total mess and it's up acting totally normal the last 2 days so holding out hope for you
1f44f-1f3fb.png
1f423.png

If the egg with saddle shaped air cell has blood, the chick may have torn a vein when it tried to pip.  Yes it's a bad sign, but at this point it doesn't hurt to keep it in the incubator until the other eggs hatch.  Just don't expect much.

That's a good sized baby for that egg too! Great job I had some big babies this time too and w/ shipped eggs and bad air cells it's more nurture if necessary
1f423.png
1f600.png
Thank you so much. It is a big baby! It pushed out and is in the brooder, cheeping and fluffing up. This is the only chick from my eight SLW shipped eggs, and it is extra precious.

It must be lonely to be the sole hatchling.

I think I will put my smallest of my October-hatched Silkies in the brooder with this baby, in a few days.

Last edited:
All the chicks are so cute! Our first clutch should start hatching any time now. I am trying to force myself to leave well enough alone this time, and not be outside disturbing the momma every 5 minutes. The eggs were only candled once, so hopefully everyone is still going strong. I am especially anxious to see if those 4 from the other clutch made it. SO exciting, as always!!

When the chick's create the internal pip, does it make like a scratching sound or like tapping? Also does the internal pip make the humidity go up?

You can hear it crack when it pips if you are near the bator. And yes, it can make the humidity go up a little, and then, especially once it starts zipping!

Update! I think my slow-zipping chick was just lonely while I was at work. I started tapping and talking, and that little chick just started pushing hard and breaking the shell. I think it will hatch on its own tonight.

I candled the saddle shaped egg, and it has what looks like blood spotting in the air cell. That can't be good. I am guessing it didn't make it.

Whoot! Catching up on reading..maybe you have a chick by now. Will know if you posted that in a few.

Back
Top Bottom