November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
Yay Daisy!!!! Congrats
smile.png
Thank you!!
smile.png

Thanks so much for the support!! There is so much difference between having a zero hatch and having one chick. I have one chick! :love Little Daisy is strong and healthy. I am so glad I assisted, and very grateful for the advice from my BYC pals. 4 week old Cleopatra (a Silkie from the October-Hatch-a-Long) has stepped up to cuddle Daisy. It is so cute when Daisy snuggles under the Silkie. I wonder how that will look when the Wyandotte is three times the Silkie's size!
So sweet
1f603.png

I'm going to slowly integrate my hatchlings in together they are all going to 1-2 weeks apart any recommendations time frame etc?
I wouldn't put just hatched chicks with a group of week old chicks. Make sure all are eating, drinking & running around. Number of chicks & breeds also matter. If you have only 2-3 older chicks & add a dozen younger chicks, there's usually no problem. In fact the older ones sometimes become the protective leaders. If you add 2-3 younger chicks into a dozen older chicks, the out-numbered little ones will end up cowering in the corner. It's better to wait until they're closer in size & have their cages next to each other for a week or so while you're waiting.

Breeds also matter. My Orpington chicks (although large) are very easy-going & rarely bully other chicks. My EEs are more active & curious. They are more likely to peck at new-comers.

I wouldn't put just hatched chicks with a group of week old chicks.  Make sure all are eating, drinking & running around.  Number of chicks & breeds also matter.  If you have only 2-3 older chicks & add a dozen younger chicks, there's usually no problem.  In fact the older ones sometimes become the protective leaders.  If you add 2-3 younger chicks into a dozen older chicks, the out-numbered little ones will end up cowering in the corner.  It's better to wait until they're closer in size & have their cages next to each other for a week or so while you're waiting.

Breeds also matter.  My Orpington chicks (although large) are very easy-going & rarely bully other chicks. My EEs are more active & curious.  They are more likely to peck at new-comers.

They are separated now for at least another week it will be 12 littles in w/ 9 bigs it's a variety of breeds I can always set up another box too I want them integrated before I put them all out into the coop is all not in a rush to move the littles thank you

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom