November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
Thanks so much for the support!!
There is so much difference between having a zero hatch and having one chick. I have one chick!
love.gif

Little Daisy is strong and healthy. I am so glad I assisted, and very grateful for the advice from my BYC pals. 4 week old Cleopatra (a Silkie from the October-Hatch-a-Long) has stepped up to cuddle Daisy. It is so cute when Daisy snuggles under the Silkie. I wonder how that will look when the Wyandotte is three times the Silkie's size!

Oh my goodness! How adorable! Congrats!

I'm going to slowly integrate my hatchlings in together they are all going to 1-2 weeks apart any recommendations time frame etc?

I do it all the time. Right now I have 2 week old Ayam cemani chicks worn 5 day old chicks and the ones that are due to hatch today/tomorrow will also go in with them.

Last edited:
I do it all the time. Right now I have 2 week old Ayam cemani chicks worn 5 day old chicks and the ones that are due to hatch today/tomorrow will also go in with them.

Ok great thank you all my babies are in the house which we keep warmer than avg ppl (my fiancé had awful arthritis and cold sensitivity I don't complain) and I moved the heater down w/ the new hatchlings so I'm thinking maybe moving them when they start to feather w/ a heating pad I have 2 more hatches in the bator so sooner will be better/easier

Yeah I had them dry out last time. My humidity is in the 80s now and someone said they might drown. But they had big air cells at lockdown. I think one pipped close to the pointy end. We'll see. Maybe I'm not cut out for hatching.

It sure is nerve wrecking! Did u trace the air cell at all? I do right before lock down. This helps me gauge proper pipping is occurring!

It sure is nerve wrecking! Did u trace the air cell at all? I do right before lock down. This helps me gauge proper pipping is occurring!

Mine are all done hatching. One that pipped at the wrong end died. Another that piped at the wrong end I helped a bit so it wouldn't sufficate. 9 healthy chicks hatched. The last two chicks died unpipped in the shell. I opened the eggs and they were malpositioned and slimey. I'm wondering if the older chicks rolling them around for a day in the incubator messed them up.

I candled about half of my eggs and I saw some movement. About half had movement, 1 didn't have anything and the others look like they had a shadow over about 3/4 of the egg, but no movement that I could see. I could see a saddle shape in 1 egg, but there was no movement. It is day 8 so should they all be moving?

Are the ones with shadows, but no movement growing. I wish I knew more about this. I can't see anything with the maran eggs beside the shadow.

Anyone have any advice?

I candled about half of my eggs and I saw some movement. About half had movement, 1 didn't have anything and the others look like they had a shadow over about 3/4 of the egg, but no movement that I could see.  I could see a saddle shape in 1 egg, but there was no movement. It is day 8 so should they all be moving?

Are the ones with shadows, but no movement growing. I wish I knew more about this. I can't see anything with the maran eggs beside the shadow.

Anyone have any advice?

With the dark ones I think most people go by the shadow, and monitor the air cell and the smell. Sounds like your eggs are doing good.

Back
Top Bottom