November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
I'm freaking out! Tomorrow starts lock down and I have no idea by looking at these guys how to tell if they're in the right position or whether they'll pip a good spot or anything. There's six that made it this far and the worry is driving me crazy.

I'm freaking out! Tomorrow starts lock down and I have no idea by looking at these guys how to tell if they're in the right position or whether they'll pip a good spot or anything. There's six that made it this far and the worry is driving me crazy.

Are they shipped eggs or your own? I always stop turning my shipped eggs a cpl days early esp if some of the air cells are saddled or funky I place them w/ the largest part of the air cell facing up for lockdown that has worked well for me

Are they shipped eggs or your own? I always stop turning my shipped eggs a cpl days early esp if some of the air cells are saddled or funky I place them w/ the largest part of the air cell facing up for lockdown that has worked well for me

Shipped. There's two with slightly odd air cells so I'll do that.

I'm in Florida so our ambient moisture has kept the incubator humidity up between 40%-50%. We just got a cold front, though, and that dries us out. So with all that in mind should I still try to keep the humidity high for hatching or should I just let it be?

Shipped. There's two with slightly odd air cells so I'll do that.

I'm in Florida so our ambient moisture has kept the incubator humidity up between 40%-50%. We just got a cold front, though, and that dries us out. So with all that in mind should I still try to keep the humidity high for hatching or should I just let it be?

Did you weigh or measure the air cells I would set them up today like you would for lockdown humidity IMO should be up esp if the humidity has dropped now at least 65% it will go up a little as they start to hatch you don't want them getting sticky

Did you weigh or measure the air cells I would set them up today like you would for lockdown humidity IMO should be up esp if the humidity has dropped now at least 65% it will go up a little as they start to hatch you don't want them getting sticky

I didn't weigh or measure but I've kept an eye on them. One might be slightly smaller than optimal but they've all grown.

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell their position exactly, or if and when they'll pip. Sometimes you have to just take a deep breath and hope for the best.

Like Dcba, I also stop turning shipped eggs a day or two early and lay them down with the most of the air cell up.

I'll do my day 18 candling later today and mark the air cells.

Good luck!!

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell their position exactly, or if and when they'll pip. Sometimes you have to just take a deep breath and hope for the best.

Like Dcba, I also stop turning shipped eggs a day or two early and lay them down with the most of the air cell up.

I'll do my day 18 candling later today and mark the air cells.

Good luck!!

Thanks! I wish I had a broody to do the fretting for me instead!

If you can see the air cell line, they will pip at the lowest point where the air cell dips down. We mark an x there on day 18 - as a fun prediction - and set the egg on its side with the "x" facing up. Usually we're spot on with the predictions. If you enlarge the pics below you'll see the "x"s & the pips.

Of course even if you don't candle, the eggs will naturally roll into that position (or close to it) because the embryo & egg contents are heavier on the side where the air cell is higher. Really no reason to worry

Not the best photo....

Back
Top Bottom