November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
Are Easter-egger green eggs difficult to candle? (Like Marans eggs?) I know, it's only day 5, but I couk d see some veining on a light brown egg, but nothing on the EE eggs. By day 7, will veining become pronounced enough to see, even on the darker shells?

My green eggs are the hardest to see through, much worse than my Marans. (Almost impossible!). So if they don't smell, I leave them in and hope they hatch. If the air cell doesn't draw down at the end, I know something is wrong.

Are Easter-egger green eggs difficult to candle? (Like Marans eggs?) I know, it's only day 5, but I couk d see some veining on a light brown egg, but nothing on the EE eggs. By day 7, will veining become pronounced enough to see, even on the darker shells?
A few of those eggs can be a challenge if the hen is young & shells are thick. Some are about the same as a brown egg. Only white eggs are "easy" to candle. On day 5, you may not be able to see veins in some eggs, so don't stress. If the shell is thick, you may not even be able to see veins by day 7, but you can always mark & recandle those ? eggs in a few days. By days 10-12, the embryo is large & looks like shadow-blob taking up 1/2 the egg. No need to look for veins. It's very easy to see the diff between a good & bad egg then. If you're lucky the blob may move &/or stretch out a limb.

It's so much fun to candle & make predictions.

Candling = Little birdy sonograms! Okay, I will wait until day 7 and 10 before I try again. I guess I just want verification that my incubation practices are correct - verified by some growth! :)

Candling = Little birdy sonograms! Okay, I will wait until day 7 and 10 before I try again. I guess I just want verification that my incubation practices are correct - verified by some growth!
smile.png
I think most here would agree that waiting is the hardest part. Hang in there!

So, how long do I wait before wisking this one to the brooder...no pips from the other eggs yet.

I would give it a bit longer until it's fully fluffed up and rested. If possible, wait until a few more have hatched, so that it's not alone in the brooder.

Edited to say: congratulations on your chick!

Last edited:
I would give it a bit longer until it's fully fluffed up and rested. If possible, wait until a few more have hatched, so that it's not alone in the brooder.

Edited to say: congratulations on your chick!

X 2. Congrats!

I also like to leave them in so their peeping can encourage the others.

Since my air calls hadn't grown as much as I liked, I left my humidity at 30% for another day. Checked this afternoon, and most had nice draw-downs and 2 had internally pipped! So I hurriedly jacked up the humidity to 67% and popped them back in the bator. Hopefully will see some pips tomorrow!

Ok so today is day 19.... I admit I must be a hands on hatchet cuz I decided to take a peak at the ones I think are going to be early and..... I see shadows. And little beaks... and I have one peeping at me!!! ☆☆♡♡♡♡ so my hubby thinks I am crazy cuz I am calling all three of my kids to hear the chick!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom