November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
These aren't the darkest BCM eggs I've ever seen. Thinking they are November eggs, so lightened a bit as laying cycle slows? Thanks for the "power's out" tips. I'm also going to call the company today and at least tell them my saga, or see if they will come to our door before they shut us off so I can be prepared.

I thought I had something serious going until i read orrpeoples post!
Im having the weirdest attemted hatch I've seen so far.
Last week I mentioned 2broken eggs on 2 consecutive days. Everything was calm and normal until yesterday morning when I saw one egg out of the nest. It was in an "impossible" place.
Mimas nest is in a cardboard prpduce box so that when it gets firty I can replace it with the least disturbance. Leading to the boxc is a set of cut logs that serve as stairs for the babies.
Mi!a somehow got the egg up tjhe side of the box and put onto the first step. I can't describe howimpossible that should be!
I tried to candle, saw nothing but the egg was cool anyway. I didn't want to look inside yet i did.
There was definitely nothing viable in there!
Any insights?

I forgot to say she's on 4eggs now and it's day ,14.

Last edited:
I thought I had something serious going until i read orrpeoples post!
Im having the weirdest attemted hatch I've seen so far.
Last week I mentioned 2broken eggs on 2 consecutive days. Everything was calm and normal until yesterday morning when I saw one egg out of the nest. It was in an "impossible" place.
Mimas nest is in a cardboard prpduce box so that when it gets firty I can replace it with the least disturbance. Leading to the boxc is a set of cut logs that serve as stairs for the babies.
Mi!a somehow got the egg up tjhe side of the box and put onto the first step. I can't describe howimpossible that should be!
I tried to candle, saw nothing but the egg was cool anyway. I didn't want to look inside yet i did.
There was definitely nothing viable in there!
Any insights?

I forgot to say she's on 4eggs now and it's day ,13.

Our hen did the same thing with 2 eggs. They seem to know what eggs are good and bad. Maybe they can smell them going rotten so they remove them from the hatch.

Down to 17 eggs from 26 today as I found one quitter and the rest were not fertile or never started. Darn Ebay shipped eggs! Due in 8 more days on Friday.
yippiechickie.gif

Our hen did the same thing with 2 eggs. They seem to know what eggs are good and bad. Maybe they can smell them going rotten so they remove them from the hatch.

I think you're right. She's never done it before...her 1st hatch early summer had 5 eggs,4 hatched. I asked a friend who came over to peek at the chicks if he would look inside. It was just unfertilized.
Next hatch she had 9 eggs! 3 of her own and 5 of other hens. 7hatched. I dilly dallied about looking inside. When I did one exploded nasty stuff all over me!
This is her 3rd time.
Ive wondered if the weather or daylight hours are interupting things? The ones she broke last week seemed unfertilized, no odor, no embryo. The one from today definitely had an embryo that quit. I could smell it once I cracked the shell and by the appearance.
My best guess is the fisrt eggs were unfertilized, third quit. I sure hope to have no more excitement until I meet live healthy chicks!

I think you're right. She's never done it before...her 1st hatch early summer had 5 eggs,4 hatched. I asked a friend who came over to peek at the chicks if he would look inside. It was just unfertilized.
Next hatch she had 9 eggs! 3 of her own and 5 of other hens. 7hatched. I dilly dallied about looking inside. When I did one exploded nasty stuff all over me!
This is her 3rd time.
Ive wondered if the weather or daylight hours are interupting things? The ones she broke last week seemed unfertilized, no odor, no embryo. The one from today definitely had an embryo that quit. I could smell it once I cracked the shell and by the appearance.
My best guess is the fisrt eggs were unfertilized, third quit. I sure hope to have no more excitement until I meet live healthy chicks!

Seems like your hen knows what's she's doing. By getting rid of the bad eggs, she increases survival of the rest.

What I don't get is how hens can ADD eggs to their clutch. My nest boxes are off the ground, but it has happened more than once

More than 1/2 is considered good for shipped eggs.
thumbsup.gif

* I've had up to 75% hatch & down to ZERO %. Such a wildcard.

Yes I'm happy with the numbers. I have two separate Ebay auctions in my incubator. One with 8 eggs are 100% growing and the other Ebay auction of 15 is at 53%.

Back
Top Bottom