November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
I have two out of their shells now and drying. Got another working his way out and a fourth has pipped but hasn't got far yet. I think we can expect the fifth to get started at any time and the sixth I think might have been a late quitter but I'll give it a little bit to make sure.

They have the cutest little feathers down their legs and toes!

Congrats everyone on new arrivals! And to answer the wintering question, my chicks will be in my bathroom until they're feathered and everything. My Jersey Giants have been spending some time outside in the afternoons to get them used to the idea. All but one are getting wing and tail feathers in well (don't ask me what's up with late-bloomer--it's growing, just not feathering as fast as the others) and our winters are usually pretty mild so I can see them being outside in a few weeks. Obviously the new babies will be in for a while.

Here's what's in the brooder now... 2 more drying in the bator
1f423.png
1f600.png
7/7

Aww, glad I came on to see some babies!

My fluffy chicks! The leghorn has one black feather? Maybe my leghorn roo isn't pure leghorn?

You are probably right. If, by chance, that is mixed with an EE or a Pure Ameracauna...you will get blue eggs. See any hint of green in the legs feet? I have one out there that had mama as a leghorn, and dad an EE. Usually, they have a lot of black spots. Mine just had the on spot on the head. Well, I figured that others would show up later, like they have n other leghorn mixes I've had. Nope, that chick has a buff head and neck. She is soo cool looking, and yes, she has green legs and feet..so..will lay the blue/green eggs. If the leghorn is mixed with a pure Amerecauna, they are callled...SBEL's. Super Blue Egg Layers. They lay the really pretty blue eggs..and they get big!

I have two out of their shells now and drying. Got another working his way out and a fourth has pipped but hasn't got far yet. I think we can expect the fifth to get started at any time and the sixth I think might have been a late quitter but I'll give it a little bit to make sure.

They have the cutest little feathers down their legs and toes!

Congrats everyone on new arrivals! And to answer the wintering question, my chicks will be in my bathroom until they're feathered and everything. My Jersey Giants have been spending some time outside in the afternoons to get them used to the idea. All but one are getting wing and tail feathers in well (don't ask me what's up with late-bloomer--it's growing, just not feathering as fast as the others) and our winters are usually pretty mild so I can see them being outside in a few weeks. Obviously the new babies will be in for a while.

Congratulations!!

I now have my eggs in lock down. Due to hatch on Thanksgiving Day. There are some silkie eggs in there, so will see if a few want to hatch the day before. Won't be long.

Congratulations!!

I now have my eggs in lock down.  Due to hatch on Thanksgiving Day.  There are some silkie eggs in there, so will see if a few want to hatch the day before.  Won't be long. 

My next batch due thanksgiving too just hoping for the few left out of the 25 set will hatch... Chocolate orps pleeeeasssse!!!!

My next batch due thanksgiving too just hoping for the few left out of the 25 set will hatch... Chocolate orps pleeeeasssse!!!!
Boy do I wish you lived closer! I will have some choc orp (also cuckoo, lavender & black orps) hatching. I have no plans to keep any. I had DD use some purebred eggs for her sci project, so they'd be easier to rehome. If anyone's going to be visiting the Chicago area & likes orps, please send me a pm.

Boy do I wish you lived closer!  I will have some choc orp (also cuckoo, lavender & black orps) hatching.  I have no plans to keep any.  I had DD use some purebred eggs for her sci project, so they'd be easier to rehome.  If anyone's going to be visiting the Chicago area & likes orps, please send me a pm.

Ugh I'm dying to get some nice orps. I put a deposit down for silver laced and whites for spring from a breeder in Mass. This is my second batch I reordered the first was totally scrambled and this one wasn't much better and out of 7 lav Orp eggs set from another breeder only one even started. I have cheapo Wyandottes I set for someone else all going like crazy
1f914.png
I wish I was closer too!!!!

Ugh I'm dying to get some nice orps. I put a deposit down for silver laced and whites for spring from a breeder in Mass. This is my second batch I reordered the first was totally scrambled and this one wasn't much better and out of 7 lav Orp eggs set from another breeder only one even started. I have cheapo Wyandottes I set for someone else all going like crazy
1f914.png
I wish I was closer too!!!!

Are you going to drive to get the next batch of eggs or did you order chicks? Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip to me!

Are you going to drive to get the next batch of eggs or did you order chicks?  Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip to me!

Just figured I would get chicks a little more expensive but less of the headache I have dealt w/ trying to hatch at least w/ the orps I really want. Don't get me wrong I love hatching but I had a baby catch it's belly button cord on its foot ripping stuff out last hatch and had to be culled and another idk overheat or something had a seizure and died in my hand so I'm hatching what's left and going to take a break....
And it would be a nice excuse for an overnight in Boston

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom