November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
Those quail babes are so precious!!!!! I have an itty bitty from my last hatch those little guys are always my favs!!!!
Beautiful!!!
I looked at the pics and thought "those are really unusual looking chicks...I wonder what they are". Then I read the text and saw they are chicks, but Quail chicks. Is it common to see them hatch in both colors? The darker striped ones look already like quail. What will the little yellow/white one become?

In my hatching frenzy I forgot to wish everyone Happy Thanksgiving and Safe hatching.
I hope I can jump on the happy wagon with all the awesome hatches here!
I checked about an hour ago and still see no activity. Yesterday 4:30 p.m. was exactly 21 days. Weathers been cool lately but warmed up...maybe that'll help?
Mima (hen) has sat 3 times. First she hatched 4 out of 5. Next she hatched 7 out of 9. This time is a kooky mystery.

OK so i will be going on lock down tomorrow how high should i have my humidity in there i was thinking that 80ish

Happy Thanksgiving!

& Happy Hatching!

We had a nice time at my brother's. My sister-in-law baked both a ham & turkey, but my pregnant niece was craving deep fried turkey, So for the love of his oldest daughter (& future grandchild) he cooked a 2nd turkey outside. My brother followed an online recipe.

old.gif
Moral of the story: Don't believe everything you read online.
lau.gif

(Actually it was delicious, but we couldn't help but have a little fun at my brother's expense.)

I baked my usual honey-butter bread & also made whipped honey butter to go with it. I finished the last of my (non-frozen) garden zucchini by baking some zucc bread. (Actually, I also made zucc pizza the other night for a whole zucc-based meal.) Since the pumpkins pies were already taken care of, I decided to bring something chocolate.

Here's my 4-layer choc ganache torte with choc moose filling & white choc lace.

In other news: My nephew just did his senior recital & is graduating from college. Besides his regular gigs, he's now playing bass & touring with a band, Citizen Way. (He also plays with another band which he started in H.S., but they only do Chicago House of Blues & several local city festivals. Rarely do they travel out of Illinois, so he was pretty excited when telling us about his recent shows.)

What the incubator looked like this morning when we woke up to find 7 chicks had hatched

When we got home from my brother's, we found a couple more fluffy chicks in the incubator. Just after moving them to the brooder, 2 more chicks hatched.
love.gif

The quail are doing fine. They are so busy. They also make our newly hatched chicks look like giants!
I asked for Jumbo Coturnix quail eggs, but I think I got a mix of those & Texas A&M. The A&M quail should look mostly white. We may keep a few quail, but most of the quail & all of the chicks will be given away. (Already at our chicken limit.)

Sending out good hatching vibes to everyone!
fl.gif

That incubator top is actually off...and it's just a still air bator, can buy at any feed store..usually. :)

Back
Top Bottom