November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
I know you have said before, but I am not finding the post... what are these little cuties?

They are silkies. There are the muffed kind, and the non muffed, meaning they look like they have little beards, and their faces are very full when bearded. They come in a variety of colors. A bantam. And usually, a very sweet, loving bird..some..when broody..not so much, like a lot of mama hens protecting their babies.
wink.png

AWWW! They are so cute. DD has a big desire to hatch silkies. Are they harder to hatch than other breeds?

Sadly yes, hard to hatch. Some will have large vaults, which makes it hard for them to turn in the shell. There is one, I think you can see, has a very high vault..but..that was the first one to hatch! There is another with a smaller vaulted head, then one without. I assisted one of these. I think the one without the vault! What did I just say? lol...Sometimes they do fine..evedently..but I did lose two beautiful blacks..DIS..with very high vaults. Man, that made me sick to the tummy when I saw how close they were to hatching. Thanksgiving day, busy, didn't get to check on them in time. I know better. I actually have more of this gals eggs coming. They really are going to be nice. I want to start breeding .. not in a big way, just have some of my own eggs. Shipped eggs don't come cheap.

Dark grey which most often has turned blue with partridge head and hackle.

Next is the little yellow one. So far both hatches had one of this exact color become bright orange, just like the dad.

And this one is the light grey...

These little ones came out 2 days late! They're well worth the wait! They are now in their mom's new nesting box (which obviously needed lots of cleaning) right nest to a small cage where their siblings from the previous hatch are waiting to meet them.
As soon as the chicks become a bit more willing to explore they'll be able to see each other, but not without a separation for safety.(Thanks, again Faraday40 for your great advice!)
Can anyone says when, approximately, it would be safe to remove that barrier? I know the 11 going on 12 week olds are cramped in the small space they have at the moment.
Thanks.

Which one are you wondering is a splash? The light grey? If it has a hint of yellow around it's body, like the top of the back of it's wings..behind the neck..or the back of the bum..it could be. :) Going to look at your avvy to see what your big light one looks like.

200x200px-ZC-b7f87990_MMprofile.jpeg

She looks to have some grey in her..does she have the specks throughout her body? That is why they call them splash .. of course....:p..they have little dark grey, or even light grey specks throughout the body. Your birds are very pretty!!
love.gif

Here is the silkie thread..very active. Just go on and ask your question about the color. They may want a front body view..but there are some good folks on there that know their stuff. They are good at colors, and also when older chicks, the gender.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread/62440#post_17791352

Last edited:
Today is day 18! Lock-down, here we come. Going to run to the dollar store for some shelf liner, pick up a couple of sponges, and this afternoon will remove the auto-turner and then keep my fingers crossed.

Penny1960 and her husband are building me a coop-I am SO THANKFUL for them for doing it. My DIY skills are nonexistent! She has also offered to trade pullets for any roos that I have hatch out. I probably won't know which are which for awhile though... Challenge for me will be to not get so attached that I can't let them go knowing they will be dinner at some point!

I figure I will have my little fluffs inside for the next 4-6 weeks. Should be interesting... Haha. I have a wire "corral" that I am thinking I will put them in so that they get out of the brooder. Or figure out how to block off the underneath of my sofa and just let the little cuties run around my living room- thank heavens for laminate floors! LOL

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

200x200px-ZC-b7f87990_MMprofile.jpeg

She looks to have some grey in her..does she have the specks throughout her body? That is why they call them splash .. of course....:p..they have little dark grey, or even light grey specks throughout the body. Your birds are very pretty!!
love.gif

Here is the silkie thread..very active. Just go on and ask your question about the color. They may want a front body view..but there are some good folks on there that know their stuff. They are good at colors, and also when older chicks, the gender.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread/62440#post_17791352
Thanks very much! Mima does have grey and some dark (black or dark grey) "splashes" all over. If genetics was my primary interest when I got the 2 of them, and if I'd known more about color/genetics combinations I likely would have paired differently. So I Really truly thank God for my ignorance bcs the 2 of them have made a perfect match! Muneco, the roo, has never been apart from Mima when laying, brooding or at hatch times. He is amazingly protective and so gentle. So I could not have planned it better.
For my learning on colors and how they're produced by combining colors I'm excited to bring in a few unrelated birds, pair them with regards to their colors and what I wish to result. I first need to figure out if I can create the space appropriate to their needs as that is my top priority. I adore these beautiful animals and they've brought so much joy. I only want to bring them that happiness in return!

Back
Top Bottom