November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
This is largely how the day looked for us!
This one makes me laugh... how often do they just look dead during the hatching process??

And then the big nap after its all over!

Our wonderful neighbor's power kept us in business all day, so despite 6 hours without electricity, the Little ones were warm and moist!
Also, my malpositioned pip is still just a pip, but it's making noise in there, so I will let it be. It got knocked around a bit today by the others, but seems no worse for it.
The stats are: 12 shipped BCM went into lockdown, 4 have hatched, 1 has pipped. 4 OEs and 1 RIRx also went into lockdown with them. RIRx hatched, totally RIR looking with fuzzy feet! 1 OE hatched, can't tell it apart from the BCM's right now.

LL

Darling, and man, what a great hatch! Hey, I am thinking that the third from the top is going to be a splash. Nice vault on that one too. You have some dark blues. Mine are light..who knows, I may have a couple of splash. I have more of her eggs in..I want a black soo bad..had two that were just beautiful DIS on day 21. Thanksgiving day. If I hadn't been so busy, I would have candled them, because I had had two hatch already. I know that when I've had a couple hatch, there are usually more ready, and sometimes, they just don't make it..one blue was pipped, but DIS. What bator do you use? I used a still last time, I really like them, but thought I would give my other one a try..has air.

They are adorable. Congrats!

These are the only two. No signs of movement in the other 5 eggs.
sad.png

Yes, I would say they are getting spoiled! I'm so in love, and so is my granddaughter!

How sweet! Both your granddaughter & those chicks look very happy. I'm glad you are enjoying them.
Because the chicks hatched early, you may want to adjust the temp slightly cooler next time, Maybe about 1/2 a degree. (Because you had so much fun, I predict there will be a next time.) I have 3 thermometers..... and they each read a diff temp.

This is largely how the day looked for us!
This one makes me laugh... how often do they just look dead during the hatching process??

And then the big nap after its all over!

Our wonderful neighbor's power kept us in business all day, so despite 6 hours without electricity, the Little ones were warm and moist!
Also, my malpositioned pip is still just a pip, but it's making noise in there, so I will let it be. It got knocked around a bit today by the others, but seems no worse for it.
The stats are: 12 shipped BCM went into lockdown, 4 have hatched, 1 has pipped. 4 OEs and 1 RIRx also went into lockdown with them. RIRx hatched, totally RIR looking with fuzzy feet! 1 OE hatched, can't tell it apart from the BCM's right now.
CHICKS OF STEEL! They survived all the bumps of shipping, 21 days of incubation, a power outage, & hatched with irreg air cells. A big congrats!
I use DD's old rainbow loom bands to temp mark chicks after hatching. A dot of food coloring also works. (The rubber bands were too large for the quail chicks, so one had a green mohawk & another a blue chest.)

This is the view into the brooder- 7 have been placed in it so far. This morning at 3 I woke with a jolt that I needed to move on helping the malpositioned pip chick. So, I carefully took some shell and membrane away from its beak - no blood at all - and assisted getting it's head free. Then I popped it back in the bator where it did the rest. It seemed more exhausted than the rest, but it now up and wobbling around with 4 other late night/early morning buddies. I did notice that its outside toes are curled under, making it look like it only has 2. Will this go away, or should I make it some special shoes?

LL

Darling, and man, what a great hatch! Hey, I am thinking that the third from the top is going to be a splash. Nice vault on that one too. You have some dark blues. Mine are light..who knows, I may have a couple of splash. I have more of her eggs in..I want a black soo bad..had two that were just beautiful DIS on day 21. Thanksgiving day. If I hadn't been so busy, I would have candled them, because I had had two hatch already. I know that when I've had a couple hatch, there are usually more ready, and sometimes, they just don't make it..one blue was pipped, but DIS. What bator do you use? I used a still last time, I really like them, but thought I would give my other one a try..has air.
Thank you SO MUCH! I'm so sorry about your DIS. I candled the 3 eggs that are left, and 1 was pecking at the inside of the shell - I heard click, click. I just didn't have time to pip it, so we'll see if it can hatch. 1 was clear. I'll eggtopsy the 2 that are left, if the clicker doesn't hatch. They are on day 24, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I have one that is all white, 3 or 4 that are white with some dark, the rest are either going to be dark blue, or black. I can't wait until they get bigger!!! I did get one beautiful blue and 1 beautiful black from a prior hatch from Rayvn.

Here is the lightest one with one of the spotchy ones.

I used my Brinsea 40 I have the water pump, so it's totally hands free. My house is super dry, so I just have to make sure the tank on the pump stays full. I thought I killed all these babies because the water had been running fine, when I left for work on Tues I didn't check it. When I got home to 7 or 8 pips, the humidity was 30 and the tank was empty. I dumped warm water into the bator and filled the tank, but I thought for sure I had shrink wrapped them all!!!

They are adorable. Congrats!

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:

This is our hatch of the ones I bought locally 50% hatch rate 3 of my 4 hatched so first time at this I think we did well but I know for sure less candling this time :) going to set some for new years :)

Merry early Christmas everybody!!
Here are our stats: home grown eggs, 5/5; shipped eggs 7/16 with 4 of these eggs still in. Will candle tonight to see what's what.

Back
Top Bottom