November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Tomorrow's high will be 3'F(but the real feel temp will be -18'F). That high will be reached at 7am & then temps will slowly drop. The low will be -13'F (but with the windchill it will feel like -26'F). I put Vaseline on the combs of the roos. I also did a good coop cleaning & refilled all the auto feeders. I have a horrible respiratory infection & do not want to spend much time outside tomorrow. Air that cold really hurts the lungs.

It's unusual to get this cold in Dec. Oh I feel like I'm living in N. Minnesota! Thankfully, it will get back up to the teens on Mon & mid 20s by Tues.

Needless to say, we still have quail in our living room. There's no way they'd survive this kind of cold.

Edited to add these pics:
How could we possibly send this lovable quail cutie outside in such cold?

Last edited:
Lol. It feels good this time of year. In the summer I melt. I grew up in NY, been in GA 6 1/2 years and still not used to the heat.

Well it was -5 yesterday and we got like 8 inches of snow today.... No complaints about 70's lol. I have stinkers in the kitchen right now I can't wait to throw out the door
1f61d.png

Tomorrow's high will be 3'F(but the real feel temp will be -18'F). That high will be reached at 7am & then temps will slowly drop. The low will be -13'F (but with the windchill it will feel like -26'F). I put Vaseline on the combs of the roos. I also did a good coop cleaning & refilled all the auto feeders. I have a horrible respiratory infection & do not want to spend much time outside tomorrow. Air that cold really hurts the lungs. It's unusual to get this cold in Dec. Oh I feel like I'm living in N. Minnesota! Thankfully, it will get back up to the teens on Mon & mid 20s by Tues. Needless to say, we still have quail in our living room. There's no way they'd survive this kind of cold. Edited to add these pics: How could we possibly send this lovable quail cutie outside in such cold? [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
I totally agree, it is too cold to put thise cuties outside! The only thing I hate about weather is wind! Hot or cold, rain or shine, as long as it is not windy. Heat makes me sick, I don't handle it well at all. But wind... I loathe wind. It is supposed to be in the high 20s here on Tuesday as well. Teens and down to 0 until then. Just way too cold to put chicks out into.

Last edited:
Well it was -5 yesterday and we got like 8 inches of snow today.... No complaints about 70's lol. I have stinkers in the kitchen right now I can't wait to throw out the door
1f61d.png

It has been cold here for a while now as well. It didn't get above freezing for a few weeks. Then we had that heat wave and it was getting over freezing for a few days. Melted most of the snow and rained for a couple days. The ground was already frozen, so the water had nowhere to go. Now everything is just ice.

I had to take a couple pictures of it.

Out front.

Out back.

Rats! I can't get the last one to load, and it is the best one! It is the chicken run, that is now an ice skating pond.

I kept my silkies inside for months because the weather wasn't right. Then I lost two anyway from the heat and kept them in for even longer until I had a better set up. :p So I can understand not wanting to put those cute babies out during cold weather.

I really don't like the crazy heat in summer, but I also hate the crazy cold of the north in winter. To me, they are each just as bad. Neither one you can get out much or do much. This past summer was especially bad for heat. I've been so happy since it cooled down. But we are able to grow things just about all year long. I don't have to worry too much about frozen babies (chicks, goat kids, and piglets) and the babies have all done well in the heat (with the exception of the silkies). Plus it's pretty down here, quiet, and CHEAPER. Cheaper is the main reason we moved. We pay $550 a month mortgage for our house and 4 1/2 acres. Can't find that in NY. ;-) It's only around Christmas time I miss the snow.

I kept my silkies inside for months because the weather wasn't right. Then I lost two anyway from the heat and kept them in for even longer until I had a better set up. :p So I can understand not wanting to put those cute babies out during cold weather.

I really don't like the crazy heat in summer, but I also hate the crazy cold of the north in winter. To me, they are each just as bad. Neither one you can get out much or do much. This past summer was especially bad for heat. I've been so happy since it cooled down. But we are able to grow things just about all year long. I don't have to worry too much about frozen babies (chicks, goat kids, and piglets) and the babies have all done well in the heat (with the exception of the silkies). Plus it's pretty down here, quiet, and CHEAPER. Cheaper is the main reason we moved. We pay $550 a month mortgage for our house and 4 1/2 acres. Can't find that in NY. ;-) It's only around Christmas time I miss the snow.

NY is cool too, but another place I could never live. Well, at least not in the city. And I hear you on the cost of living! That is a main reason we live in the country, to grow/raise our own food. I definitely prefer a cooler climate though, and low humidity.

Last edited:
NY is cool too, but another place I could never live. Well, at least not in the city. And I hear you on the cost of living! That is a main reason we live in the country, to grow/raise our own food. I definitely prefer a cooler climate though, and low humidity.

I lived in the middle of nowhere in NY. About an hour and a half north of the city. There were lots of cows and horses around where I lived. But it was still expensive. I wouldn't mind a more moderate climate. Northern California was my favorite place to live, but cost wise is comparable to NY. Low humidity would be nice! Sometimes it's like hitting a wall of steam when you walk outside in summer.

This is repetitive, but I simply cannot believe the size difference between these 12 chicks. It is crazy! I really need to get a side by side, but I am not sure how. Maybe I can catch one at night and bring it inside for a comparison picture, then take it back out. I'll have to try that tonight. Anyway, this picture is of two different age chicks.

The small chick there is one of the six outside 5 week old chicks, the others are 3 weeks older. The one directly to the right of the little one is the same size as the other six 5 week olds inside.

Back
Top Bottom